New Storage Servers Available!

Very nice Tom.

15  internal drives and one via external case?   

Should we expect the current 14 drive unRaid limit to change to 16 drives at some point?

Joe L.

Agreed!  Very nice choice of components Tom!

I didn't even know about the Asus P5B-VM DO variant motherboard.  This is the first VM motherboard I have seen with 6x SATA ICH8DO + 2x JMicron SATA.  One step up from the P5B-E that I used, as it comes in a smaller form-factor, includes the on-board video, and uses Intel GigaLAN.

Same initial question as Joe... assume you now have 15 (or 16 with eSATA) max drive support available?

Also, curious if you are configuring these machines for AHCI mode on the SATA ports, as I have done with my P5B-E setup.

Great to see you have also thought to offer a rack mount option, I can see that this will be very popular for business use.  Now you just need to get the security implemented, and you will have a huge potential market open up for SMB customers.

NB: Also spotted that you have sourced a lime colored USB flash drive! ;)

Now, since I live in New Zealand, I'll need to check local parts availability to build my own MD1500, to avoid the killer freight costs to ship one of these pre-built!

edit: Hmmm... the international freight on the 'lighter weight' MD1500/LL actually isn't tooo horrific.  I just need to fill up my existing unraid server so I can justify an MD1500/LL as my second unraid solution. :)

Main reason is our supplier only carries the 1.6 GHz version with 800 Mhz FSB.  When faster version becomes available, probably will start using it.

Thanks much.  I am looking at building a similar server in a case that I already have and was curious if the older processors had some sort of benefit I was missing.  Thanks again--I'm definitely looking forward to 4.1!

Michael

I'll see if I can measure the noise on a dB meter - but you don't want this out in the open in your home theater room.  I have an MD-1500/AO sitting next to my desk and it's ok, but definitely not silent.  Most of the noise is coming from the fans in the back of the 5-in-3 backplane modules.  I'd say it's quieter than the MD-1200 though; maybe someone who owns one of those can chime in with their opinion.

I'll see if I can measure the noise on a dB meter - but you don't want this out in the open in your home theater room.  I have an MD-1500/AO sitting next to my desk and it's ok, but definitely not silent.  Most of the noise is coming from the fans in the back of the 5-in-3 backplane modules.  I'd say it's quieter than the MD-1200 though; maybe someone who owns one of those can chime in with their opinion.

I have a setup like the 1500/LL. With only 2 AMS 5-in-3 backplanes. The backplanes are a little loud,even at thier low speed setting.

I installed nexus's fans which are a much quieter, but the fan connections don't match. You will ether have to do some soldering or, as I did, I ran the connections to the other connections in the case. You will get a red light on the 5-in-3 which means your fans aren't working, but they are, they just aren't attached to the AMS.

In looking through the specs on the new MD-1500 servers, it seems like the differences boil down to the chassis only. Could you elaborate on what are the differences between the LL and the AO chassis besides size and rack mountability?

Thanks

Dudley

In looking through the specs on the new MD-1500 servers, it seems like the differences boil down to the chassis only. Could you elaborate on what are the differences between the LL and the AO chassis besides size and rack mountability?

Yes the only difference is chassis.

The AOpen is made of steel, very rugged, has some EMI shielding (not sure how effective).  The tower version has a front lockable door with a removable air filter.  A rack mount option is also available.

The Lian-Li is all-aluminum, slightly smaller (less deep), and significantly lighter.

The AOpen also has a floppy drive (woo hoo!), though it could be easily replaced with a card reader or something else more useful.

I'm not space or weight constrained so it sounds like from your description above that the AO chassis is a best fit for me.  However reliability (ie thermal performance) would be a very important criteria for me.  Could you tell me what what the cooling differences are between the AO and LL chassis?  Any data available from your testing that says what drive temps are between the two chassis?

Thanks much

Dudley

I have the same LL case as a desktop, and my only complaint is that it only has 80mm fan spaces for the exhaust fans... 120mm would be much better and quieter.

If you had the same  as 1500/LL case you would have 120mm fans, not 80mm. At least my LL has 120mm fans.

I'm not space or weight constrained so it sounds like from your description above that the AO chassis is a best fit for me.  However reliability (ie thermal performance) would be a very important criteria for me.  Could you tell me what what the cooling differences are between the AO and LL chassis?  Any data available from your testing that says what drive temps are between the two chassis?

Thanks much

Dudley

Bump.  Any information on the thermal performances differences between the AO and LL cases?

Thanks

Dudley