Building my first server

Turtle

I recently purchased a dell R710 PowerEdge. 

Dell PowerEdge R710 LFF 2U Server

2x Intel Xeon X5670 2.93GHz Six Core Processors

24GB RAM (6x4GB)

PERC 6/i RAID Controller

6x 3.5" Hard Drive Bays

No Hard Drives

iDRAC Enterprise

DVD-ROM Optical Drive

2x Power Supplies.

got good deal on it so gonna start from here and see how I like working with server. Any ideas, recommendation’s? Plan on probably upgrading ram and taking raid controller out. Want to do the media route with unraid till I can buy all the drives I want. How easy is it to use unraid and navigate through for a newbie? Is there a auto dvd rip plugin or app I can run?

On 3/20/2019 at 1:49 PM, Turtle said:

24GB RAM (6x4GB)

PERC 6/i RAID Controller

6x 3.5" Hard Drive Bays

No Hard Drives

iDRAC Enterprise

DVD-ROM Optical Drive

2x Power Supplies.

got good deal on it so gonna start from here and see how I like working with server. Any ideas, recommendation’s? Plan on probably upgrading ram and taking raid controller out. Want to do the media route with unraid till I can buy all the drives I want. How easy is it to use unraid and navigate through for a newbie? Is there a auto dvd rip plugin or app I can run?

I'm a new user to Unraid (I'm an embedded software engineer by trade), I replaced my Synology NAS with an Unraid server as I'd filled all the drive bays and it seemed a better option to build a PC with adequate space for disks, I'm already familiar with docker and stuff.  Didn't take me very long to not only get set up and running, but to fall in love with Unraid, I love the fact it's JBOD with parity, if I happen to lose a disk and parity then I just lose what's on that disk, no biggie, as opposed to the synology where I'd lose everything.

I fitted a blu ray 4k friendly drive in my machine as well, I've successfully used the MakeMKV container to rip both blurays and 4k blurays.

Very happy with my decision to go to Unraid.  I'm having some issues with Linux VM's at the moment, but I have a workaround, my Windows 10 VM works like a trooper.

On 3/20/2019 at 8:49 AM, Turtle said:

24GB RAM (6x4GB)

PERC 6/i RAID Controller

6x 3.5" Hard Drive Bays

No Hard Drives

iDRAC Enterprise

DVD-ROM Optical Drive

2x Power Supplies.

you buy it off ebay?

20 hours ago, Fizzyade said:

I'm a new user to Unraid (I'm an embedded software engineer by trade), I replaced my Synology NAS with an Unraid server as I'd filled all the drive bays and it seemed a better option to build a PC with adequate space for disks, I'm already familiar with docker and stuff.  Didn't take me very long to not only get set up and running, but to fall in love with Unraid, I love the fact it's JBOD with parity, if I happen to lose a disk and parity then I just lose what's on that disk, no biggie, as opposed to the synology where I'd lose everything.

I fitted a blu ray 4k friendly drive in my machine as well, I've successfully used the MakeMKV container to rip both blurays and 4k blurays.

Very happy with my decision to go to Unraid.  I'm having some issues with Linux VM's at the moment, but I have a workaround, my Windows 10 VM works like a trooper.

Thanks soo much for info. I think I will be rolling this way.

• 4 months later...

I have an R710 with 7 drives 6 in the hot swap bays and one SSD in an optical drive bay adapter still one more sata 2 plug on the motherboard just need to tap for power I did replace the Perc6i with an IT flashed card rig works very well bit noisy but you get used to it