Benefits of SSD Cache Without VM & Docker Use

Been doing some reading on how UnRaid handles cache drives. When using VMs & Dockers benefit is quite obvious, both benefit greatly in speed when running from SSD / NVME. But without VM & Docker usage I'm starting to question utility of adding SSD cache drive. So far here's what I've gathered:

- Write speed will be increased - OK

- UnRaid does not seem to do read caching, so no benefit there

- Power savings from writing to SSD throughout the day, then spinning up HDDs nightly for mover script

Is there anything else I've missed?

You can have some shares specified as "cache only" and you will benefit from improved read speeds as well. Gigabit network is the limiting factor here. If you have multiple users accessing the server and have a 10gbit connection to the server you will highly benefit from cached shares. All depends on your usecase. 

7 hours ago, bastl said:

You can have some shares specified as "cache only" and you will benefit from improved read speeds as well. Gigabit network is the limiting factor here. If you have multiple users accessing the server and have a 10gbit connection to the server you will highly benefit from cached shares. All depends on your usecase. 

Oh I didn't know that, thanks for mentioning. I do have a 10Gbe nic installed and a bunch of SSD's laying around so this could be interesting.