Fast External Transfers, but Slow Internal Backups

Hi all, I'm in the process of migrating from Window Home Server 2011.  I've been impressed with Unraid's general ease of use, but am having problems with my Unraid server backups.  My setup involves backing up my unraid server to a hot-swappable drive outside the parity pool.  This removable internal drive will serve as my off-site backup.  The issue I'm having is that the backup transfer rates are misreably slow, less than 1 mbps.  I've tried several of the usual plug-ins (duplicati, cloudberry, etc), without data encryption or compression, and all have about the same slow transfer rates.  Transfer rates between my unraid server and a windows pc are good, about 80mbps.  I can even transfer files from an unraid share to the drive outside the unraid pool via my windows pc at 50mbps.  I'm really struggling to understand why my internal transfers are so slow, when they should probably be the fastest.  Is there something I'm missing here?  My unraid server is a single core 2.7ghz Sempron 140 with 4GB Ram, which is the same hardware I used for my Windows Home Server 2011 setup.

Edited by bbonney
4 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

I remember trying Duplicati once and it was excruciatingly slow

Duplicati isn't the fastest solution thats right, but less 1mbps is way to slow. I usually always get above 30mb/s with encryption and compression enabled. At the point where Duplicati checks all the files first it stresses the CPU really hard, but after that when starting the copy/compression process it doesn't really use that much CPU resources. 

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

you have a Ryzen

True, but the actual copy process only uses 1 core and not really pushing it. It sits around 20-30% load and thats it. The collecting part at the beginning of the process and checking for new files is a multithreaded operation. The encryption, compression and copy process is using only one core. The main reason why it's slower than other solutions. 

It's been a while since I last tried it, so did another quick test so see if it is as slow as I remember, at least on a lower end CPU which is what I have on my little work server, still better than the OP as it's a dual core AMD Athlon 64:

imagem.png.33fa8d99fb7ab4660a2ef7a387d7acda.png

If my math is correct that's around 4MB/s, so as slow as I remember, using default settings with encryption disabled.