Gotchas? Migrating array to a new server?

Presently I have my array running on a i7-3770

image.png.f71c1d32c606560ca80e84f4d4cc9ee0.png

I've finally gotten through testing my new SuperMicro build, and I'm ready to migrate my setup to the new server.

My plan was to:

1. Back up my flash drive
  2. My thought on doing this was to set the array to not start on boot
  3. Shut it down
  4. Move the drives / flash
  5. Boot and if that goes well, start the array

Are there things I should consider aside from that?

Is this the right way to go, is it really that simple and I'm making it more scary than I need to?

Edited by CowboyRedBeard

As long as you have just blacked out all of the identifying info on the drives (in your screen shot), you should have everything covered.  (You should have a printout of the drive assignments as a part of your prep.)  If you have VM's, you will probably have to reconfigure them.  

Edited by Frank1940

Basically, Unraid is installed on EVERY reboot on the system.  The proper drivers for each piece of hardware that are found (plug-and-play) during the boot process are installed. So changing the MB, CPU, etc. are not an issue for Unraid itself as each reboot is a complete reinstall!  However, if you have a VM, it might or might not work properly depending on whether the drivers that were installed when the VM was first installed will work with the new hardware.  (Remember that the VM was configured when it was first installed and that installation/configuration will be used for each reboot of the VM.) 

Edited by Frank1940

OK, I can see what you're saying on the VMs. And I honestly expected trouble there but I think I can handle that.

Should I worry at all about dockers? Most of what I do with this box is in dockers.

I've just never done this before, I've setup a few unraid servers but never migrated hardware. I'm afraid of moving it, turning it on and having strange breakages.

I have never heard of a problem with a Docker from a change in hardware.  (Unless you eliminate a physical drive where one of the Dockers is storing its data.  This will often cause the data to be stored in the file system of the RAM Disk (in memory) and that usually results in out-of-memory issues.)

If you have questions on Docker, look it up on Wikipedia.  If I have interpreted it correctly, Dockers only make calls to the Linux OS (or their own internal libraries and subroutines).  Thus, they are completely hardware independent.  (Any function or library that is specific or unique to that Docker is within its container.)  If a Docker package works with a specific version of Unraid, it will work with any hardware that Unraid version will work on.  (That, as I recall, was the big plus that was put forth when the shift was made from Plugins to Dockers.)