1950x vm crash pegging the pinned cores to 100%

Currently on 6.7 RC5. My VM has crashed twice this week. Once when I was asleep, and woke up to a functioning server. All dockers and shares were accessible, but the main win 10 VM was down, and all the allocated cores were pegged to 100%. Stopping the vm fixed the CPU usage, but it was unable to restart. The only thing I could see was:

host-cpu char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)

in the vm log, and then stating that it crashed. Only a hard reboot solved the issue. Second time was just now, while I was just browsing, screen just went black, and same maxxed cpu cores, just the ones pinned to the vm.

Any ideas of what to look for the next time it happens?

Edited by Tritech

Good start would be to provide us with a diagnostic file when it occours again. In over 1 year using a 1950x with unraid and a Win10 VM running often for a couple days without reboot I never saw something like you described. I'am also running RC5 without any issues so far. What was the last things you installed inside your VM? Is there any new software you installed before it happened? Did you changed something in the VM settings? Are there any log entries in the Windows logs before it crashes that may look suspicious?

Hey, bastl. We've exchanged a few times here on the "at my wits end..." thread dealing with latency... I have the same board as you. I haven't changed anything in over a month or so. Software wise in the VM, I haven't really installed anything new, just steam/browser updates. The windows logs looked fine, no weird errors other than the one above when trying to restart it. Maybe it was just a fluke.

I keep my vm running 24/7. Should I just bring it down every few days as a preventative measure?

Edited by Tritech

Most restarts for me are triggered by updating software, drivers for the GPU or from OS updates. If I remember correctly the longest I had the VM up without restarting was 14 days and than there was an Unraid update 😄

Are your windows updates delayed for a couple days or weeks or do you let the OS install them as soon as they are released? Wouldn't be surprised if again a Windows update causes issues. I think on Home versions you can't delay updates, only on Pro and Enterprise.

Could also be an display bug from the Unraid UI showing the cores at 100%. Try the following command if it happens again and check the cores that are pegged if they're running at max clocks. If you aren't running the performance CPU scaling governor the CPU on idle should scale down in clock speeds. 

watch grep \"cpu MHz\" /proc/cpuinfo