Plex Media Server - Upgrade

On 3/23/2019 at 9:39 AM, chris_netsmart said:

I have Plex Media Server by plexinc installed and all is working fine, but this morning I had a message that there is a update available for Plex.

when I click on it I get a DEB file, but I am not sure what to do with it,

can someone informed me on the right procedure to update my Plex.

Pretty much what everyone said above. But you can periodically update all of your Docker containers through unRAID's GUI.

1. Go to the Docker tab
  2. Click on Check For Updates
  3. Any containers that have updates available will show Update Ready under Version
  4. Click on Update All

image.png.2845578d18dca1f3c9ffb35491d1cb59.png

• 1 year later...
On 3/25/2019 at 5:19 PM, techsperion said:

Pretty much what everyone said above. But you can periodically update all of your Docker containers through unRAID's GUI.

1. Go to the Docker tab
  2. Click on Check For Updates
  3. Any containers that have updates available will show Update Ready under Version
  4. Click on Update All

image.png.2845578d18dca1f3c9ffb35491d1cb59.png

Hi, I updated plex following the above procedure, but now when I open the Plex App on my phone, it says that the media server can't be found. How do I rectify this?

58 minutes ago, nancydrew said:

Hi, I updated plex following the above procedure, but now when I open the Plex App on my phone, it says that the media server can't be found. How do I rectify this?

Your problem has nothing to do with this update method. 

You can go directly to the correct support thread for any of your dockers by clicking on its icon and selecting Support. 

• 1 month later...

Maybe someone else has this issue: The plex client showed me that the plex server is outdated. It offers me to download the file "plexmediaserver_1.19.3.2843-e3c1f7bcd_amd64.deb" to manually install the update. After reading multiple threads on the plex forums, reddit and in this forums I was not successful by restarting, stopping/starting or changing some settings of the container. But finally I found an other method. On the docker tab I needed to enable the "advanced view":

2040450049_2020-05-2301_58_05.png.0b8c1c60eb157f71ae07e38354ab98f1.png

and after that clicking on "force update" installed the latest plex server version :)

48560317_2020-05-2301_58_30.png.7c2ed39534c2fe02e20e4422c32eabd6.png

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...

Hoping someone can help me out.  Running unraid 6.8.3.  When I start Plex from AppleTv states that my version of Plex needs to be upgraded.

I attempted to upgrade Plex from unraid Docker tab, however, keep getting message that configuration not found.  Is there any other way i could update Plex?

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 1.13.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 1.14.06 PM.png

8 hours ago, sak_27 said:

keep getting message that configuration not found. 

What @trurl stated is 100% correct, and you should migrate away from limetech/plex.  However, the actual problem with "configuration not found" is that either you've deleted a particular file from /config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user (in this case, my-PlexMediaServer.xml) or you've got some flash trouble.

• 5 months later...

I know this is an old thread.... though I am hoping I can tag on to this one with the following: 

My Plex Docker won't update past version 1.22.2.4282. The latest version is stated to be: 1.23.4.4805.

I've run the update several times, and the command completes successfully, however the docker continues to remain on the same version. 

Also, since recently, my library's are showing no content. However the continue watching, recommendations, collections, and playlists all show just fine. 

Error:

There was an unexpected error loading this library

Please visit our forums if you continue to experience problems

On 7/20/2021 at 12:52 PM, NLDer said:

I know this is an old thread.... though I am hoping I can tag on to this one with the following: 

My Plex Docker won't update past version 1.22.2.4282. The latest version is stated to be: 1.23.4.4805.

I've run the update several times, and the command completes successfully, however the docker continues to remain on the same version. 

Also, since recently, my library's are showing no content. However the continue watching, recommendations, collections, and playlists all show just fine. 

Error:

There was an unexpected error loading this library

Please visit our forums if you continue to experience problems

I had the same issue. Instructions are difficult to come by to sort this.

I followed the suggestions in this thread and it resolved it for me.

NOTE: The first time I did it, Plex did not start up successfully with the following error in the log - "Error: No such container". I rolled back the change, started plex again and ensured it started up. Then applied the plexpass fix again.

Edited by techdiver
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mgutt said:

Did you add your Plex claim id to the container settings?

https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker#:~:text=You can obtain a claim,that it can be found.

Initially, I tried to add the claim token as advised. Unfortunately, after adding the token, I could not even access the plex server through ip:32400. 
Then I decided to shutdown the server completely, restart and try again. This time, it worked like a charm with the token! I managed to claim the server! Thanks @mgutt! You saved the day!