Upgraded to 6.6.7 - Now Windows cannot access shares by server name

Hi,

I've been running on 6.5.3 since it was released. Finally upgraded this box to 6.6.7 and I can no longer access the SMB shares via the server name.

Thought it might have been an issue with that specific release so upgraded to the Next Branch release of 6.7.0-rc5, but that has the same issue.

Before upgrading I could access \\UNRAID\media from both my Windows 8.1 and 10 machines without issue.

Since the upgrade the only way I can now access the box (from the Windows clients) is via the ip address, so \\192.168.1.235\media.

If I try to access via the server name I get a Network Error message and Windows Cannot access \\UNRAID - specifically The network path was not found.

None of the dockers or anything else appears to be having any issues accessing the shares on the box.

Having searched the forums the most resolutions seem to point back to issues on the client machines, but I do not believe the issue is with the Windows clients in this instance.

I have another unraid server on 6.7.0-rc5 (which was previously running 6.6.7 and 6.5.3 before that) and they can both access all the smb shares as expected.

I have checked settings -> SMB settings and both servers appear to have the same values.

Another thread mentioned removing an extras folder from the flash drive, but I don't have one of those.

I checked the Fix Problems plugin and that only mentions a few deprecated plugins.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing the issue?

It seems odd that one server running this release is fine and the other isn't.

Thanks for your help.

unraid-diagnostics-20190323-1521.zip

First, I will have to give you some bad news.  The problem will more than likely be on the Windows machines.  The one possible exception to this statement will be if the SMB network has not "settled down".   (SMB polling times are measured in minutes and it can take up to an hour for them to propagate through a large network.)  You can read about solving Windows problems and their myriad of solutions here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/

But before you start reading this post make sure that you have setup one of Unraid server to serve as the Local Master and make sure that server is on 24X7. 

Second, shutdown all of your Windows computers and leave them off a half-hour.  Then start them up one-by-one and see if that fixes the problem.  IF not, you are probably having problems with Network Discovery.  MS is attempting to completely eliminate the use of Network Discovery.  I have recently setup two new Win 10 computers and had SMB issues with both of them.  You might want to check these setting.  Go to     Control Panel     >>>   Network and Sharing Center   >>>     Advanced Share Settings.  There  under  'Private', make sure that 'Turn on network discovery' is turned on.  Next under   'Guest or Public', Make sure that the 'Turn on network discovery'      and, finally, under the 'All Networks, that the 'Turn off password protection' is checked.   (You might have to revisit this last one later depending on what your security requirements are.) 

There is one other area where you may want to check.  Got to 'Control Panel', then 'Program and Features',  In the left panel, click on 'Turn Windows   features on or off'.  Now scroll down to the box   'SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support' and check-mark it. 

EDIT:  These were both Windows 10 Pro  Ver 1809.

Another thing I forget to have you double check what the 'Workgroup name' was on both ends-- current network and on the Win 10 computers.  The default (as I recall) is "WORKGROUP but be sure that they match on both  ends.  

Edited by Frank1940
  • 1 month later...
On 3/23/2019 at 5:34 PM, LFletcher said:

Hi,

I've been running on 6.5.3 since it was released. Finally upgraded this box to 6.6.7 and I can no longer access the SMB shares via the server name.

Thought it might have been an issue with that specific release so upgraded to the Next Branch release of 6.7.0-rc5, but that has the same issue.

I had similar issues with 6.6.7. I downgraded it to previous version (mine was 6.5.2) and all of the shares started working again.

The web GUI worked just fine, all settings looked fine and dandy, but the server didn't respond to smb connections.