USB key passthrough automatically

Ty42

Hey it might be a stupid question but I cannot find the answer in the forum so here it is.

I have Unraid 6.6.6 up and running with several VMs that are also configured, and in particular I have a Win 8.1 VM that I am using as an office computer.

My issue is that every time that I want to plug a usb key I have to go to the VM setting, add it to passthrough, and after going back to the interface and removing it. (If i don't remove it, then when I unplugged and replug it it does not work properly..)

So my two cents question is: Is there a user friendly/easy way to do that? I have foreseen three different solution.

1) Find a way to passthrough everything that is plugged to one specific USB port. I would love to dedicate the two front panel port to the VM, but I am not sure taht it is even an option.

2) Passthrough an entire usb controller. the issue is that when doing an "lspci" command... I appear to have only one controller (and I cannot pass the unraid key!)

3) Find a way to have a one click script that I could write in order to have an automatic "mount/unmount" button. I probably would have to write one dedicated to each key, but thats fine as I have one drive and one key that I am really using on a daily basis... The issue is that I have no clues to how to do that, if anyone can direct me to some documentation that would be welcome.

Thanks for the help,

18 hours ago, Ty42 said:

1) Find a way to passthrough everything that is plugged to one specific USB port. I would love to dedicate the two front panel port to the VM, but I am not sure taht it is even an option.

You can try this also.  YMMV

USB Hotplug for Virtual Machines with no passthrough and a revision HERE

You could probably also modify them to handle option 3

Edited by Squid