Drive not spinning down?

eric.ruck

6.6.7 - Upgraded Motherboard in my Unraid Server and ever since Disk 2 in the array no longer spins down. I moved the shares to another drive and made sure nothing was trying to use disk2 and it still doesn't spin down. I've search but have yet to find anything on the subject.  Any assistance would be appreciate as I am still learning Unraid. tksnadv

• 2 weeks later...

Did you just changed the settings of the shares? Did you checked if the moving of the actual files was successful and no files from the shares remained on Disk 2? Also I had the issue that my VMs were placed on one disk which wasn't spinning down. Check that too.

Thanks for the suggestion, you were right. I did check the shares initially but somehow missed that the system share with the docker.image file was on drive 2, it was also on the cache drive. The share cache setting was set to prefer but system was using the one on disk 2. I changed the share to cache only, the cack to Prefer, ran the mover and that did it. Thanks for joggin my memory and making me look at it again.

Don't worry I have done the same before. Now none of my drives spin-up including my Parity disk. Until recently I always thought I had to keep the parity disk running.. in fact you only need Parity spun-up when you write data to the array. Of course unRAID handles this as and when you write data. 

To think I've probably wasted a bit of electricity keeping it spinning is annoying.