Can't mount drive because reiserfsck --rebuild-tree failed and stopped several time.

I have a configuration with one parity drive.

I was in the middle of changing one of my hard drive (14), during the data rebuild disk 3 showed errors in the log.

I stopped the data rebuild to run a check, which lead me to run a reiserfsck --rebuild-tree, which failed several time because of bad blocks.

I am now in a situation where I can't start the array because the disk 3 can't be mounted, and I can't data rebuild disk 14.

Is there a way for me to tell unraid to take the old disk 14 back without data rebuilding, and use the newly precleared drive to replace the disk 3 ?

I am afraid I will screw my system, which has run for years without any issue.

Thanks in advance.

Version: 6.1.9  

12 hours ago, bobunzy said:

I am now in a situation where I can't start the array because the disk 3 can't be mounted, and I can't data rebuild disk 14.

Unmountable disk doesn't prevent a rebuild, failing disk will.

13 hours ago, bobunzy said:

Is there a way for me to tell unraid to take the old disk 14 back without data rebuilding, and use the newly precleared drive to replace the disk 3 ?

Yes, if there weren't any writes to the emulated disk since the original rebuild, also running reiserfsck on disk3 updated parity, so possible some damage on the rebuilt disk but it might be recoverable.

Thank you for the answers.

What do you think is the best course of action for me?

Should I go and do a data rebuild of disk 14 with disk 3 unmounted and missing in the array, and replace disk 3 after that?

Or should I put the old disk 14 back? What would be the process to force unraid to take it back without a data rebuild on it? Then use my precleared disk to replace disk 3?

Thanks in advance.

37 minutes ago, bobunzy said:

What do you think is the best course of action for me? 

Best option would be to do both, that would give the best chances.

38 minutes ago, bobunzy said:

What would be the process to force unraid to take it back without a data rebuild on it? Then use my precleared disk to replace disk 3?

You can use the invalid slot command for that, but you'd need to update first, since it doesn't work on v6.1.9, latest would be best but any release since 6.2.4 works.

If you have two spares finish current rebuild first, if not or if you just want to try the invalid slot option, and after updating Unraid, this is what you can try to re-use old disk14:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Assign any missing disk(s) including new disk3 and old disk14
-Important - After checking the assignments leave the browser on that page, the "Main" page.

-Open an SSH session/use the console and type (don't copy/paste directly from the forum, as sometimes it can insert extra characters):

mdcmd set invalidslot 3 29

-Back on the GUI and without refreshing the page, just start the array, do not check the "parity is already valid" box, disk3 will start rebuilding, if all is well disk should mount immediately but if it's unmountable don't format, wait for the rebuild to finish and then run a filesystem check.

Thanks for the replies.

I just received another spare disk. Right now, I am rebuilding disk 14 with the precleared one I already had, and preclearing the new one.

Once disk14 is rebuilt, I will rebuilt disk 3 with the new precleared spare.

I didn't know you could data rebuild with an unmounted disk in the array, but it is going fine at the moment, will complete in 3.5 days. 

Thanks again for the help, I will keep you informed on how it goes.

29 minutes ago, bobunzy said:

I didn't know you could data rebuild with an unmounted disk in the array

Parity doesn't have any concept of data or files, just mass blocks of ones and zeroes on each drive. Unmountable means the file system may be damaged or otherwise not readable, but the individual ones and zeroes on that unmountable drive are still used along with the parity drive and all the rest of your other drives to calculate what ones and zeroes should be on the missing disk. If the emulated copy of the missing disk mounted and was readable, the rebuilt disk should be as well.