6.67 Cannot Write to SMB Share

So I have a RaspberryPi running motion for use as a security camera and I am trying to configure it to dump the data in a shared folder on my unraid server. I am mounting the share using cifs and fstab and have been able to do this successfully. Where I am running into the problem is that after I have mounted the share, I cannot write any data to it from the RaspberryPi, I get permission denied.

I have been feverishly googling to find the solution but I haven't had any luck. I have listed details of my setup below. I am sure I must be missing something, so any help to point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

1. I have created an account on the unraid server that has read and write access to the shared folder I am trying to write to. I am using these credentials to access the share via cifs.

2. I am using the following command: //192.168.86.2/Pi_Cam/Camera1 /home/pi/PiCam cifs -o uid=109,gid=113,credentials=/home/pi/.cifs,x-systemd.automount,iocharset=utf8,noperm 0 0

3. A local account on the RaspberryPi called motion needs access to this folder to write the footage recorded by the camera. I have given ownership of this folder to this account and it can write data without a problem prior to mounting the share.

I am starting to lose my mind trying to figure this out and I am sure its something stupid that I am missing me.

Save me!

Edited by WexfordStyle
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 8:28 PM, ijuarez said:

I don't see anything either on the permission side but why do you have your DHCP lease set to an hour.

Also have your tried connecting to the share via a Windows machine?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hi @ijuarez,

I have no idea about the DHCP lease time? I cant even find that in the settings. What should it be set to?

Regarding the shares, after painfully working on this for hours and hours with no success I decided to try NFS instead. It took me under an hour to get this working. It is really unfortunate that I spent so much time focusing on SMB. Lesson learned I guess.

The only troubling part is that I was never able to get SMB to work so I cant pass on any useful advice 😬. Well, other than use NFS lol.

Hi [mention=25636]ijuarez[/mention],

I have no idea about the DHCP lease time? I cant even find that in the settings. What should it be set to?

Regarding the shares, after painfully working on this for hours and hours with no success I decided to try NFS instead. It took me under an hour to get this working. It is really unfortunate that I spent so much time focusing on SMB. Lesson learned I guess.

The only troubling part is that I was never able to get SMB to work so I cant pass on any useful advice . Well, other than use NFS lol.
While NFS is great I don't use it very much. You didn't answer if you had tried from a Windows machine to the SMB share.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk