Questions for Comcast Xfinity subscribers who own modems...

sekrit

I am considering buying a modem to use on my server with Comcast Xfinity services.

I am wondering:

1.) Would it be foolish/problematic?

2.) Can anyone recommend the modems that they have success with when using Comcast Xfinity services?

3.) Can anyone share modems that they have found problematic with Comcast Xfinity?

Hi,

1. It would not! It's the smart thing to do! It'll save you a bunch of money in the long run.

2. Can you let us know what speeds you have? Modem will depend on down/up speeds. But I always go with a ARRIS Surfboard modem. I've never had a single issue with them for many many years. Again depending on your speed I can't recommend a specific model.

3. As long as you go with a good reputable brand you should be ok! Be a bit weary buying a used on from craigslist or ebay as if it's not removed from the old account you can't add it to yours.

I currently (supposedly) have 100 down (I will likely upgrade to 1Gbps by October).

I bought gateway from eBay once, but it apparently was a stolen one or something, intended to be used by Xfinity.  So, they wouldn't activate it.

But, i'd love to move away from leases and prep for 1gbps.

2 hours ago, sekrit said:

I currently (supposedly) have 100 down (I will likely upgrade to 1Gbps by October).

I bought gateway from eBay once, but it apparently was a stolen one or something, intended to be used by Xfinity.  So, they wouldn't activate it.

But, i'd love to move away from leases and prep for 1gbps.

I would do this: https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6190-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B016PE1X5K/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?keywords=arris+surfboard+1gbps&qid=1553559217&s=electronics&sr=1-1-fkmr1

Unless you wanted to really really future proof (but I think it's a waste of money) then you could do this:

https://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-ARRIS-SURFboard-SB8200-DOCSIS/dp/B07DY16W2Z/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?keywords=arris+surfboard+1gbps&qid=1553559217&s=electronics&sr=1-2-fkmr1

Remember these are just modems you'd still need a router. Unless you were looking for a gateway?

I use an SB8200 with no issues on a gigabit down/40mbps up connection after my previous arris router died after 2 years of service. Got it on a really good deal plus gift cards (they're more expensive now than when I bout a year ago.) It is deceptive though, 10gbps capable download speeds but only two gigabit ports.... and currently xfinity only allows one in use. 

As far as latency spikes, if I saturate my connection I can get some buffer bloat/latency, but on average it does not occur with my household demands. Additionally, even when downloading files, most remote servers aren't providing full bandwidth of files I'm pulling down.  I'm running this hardware in conjunction with virtualized PFSense on my server. Average latency 7-8ms to my ISP gateway. 9-10ms to 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1.

Long story short: it works fine for me. fast.com speed test screen shot below, ran with 2 other people currently streaming. You could probably get away with a lower model just fine but when a deal comes along, sometimes you gotta go big.

867717940_ScreenShot2019-03-26at8_05_28AM.png.162eee2f1b31fd5552b67f53d0c0ef0b.png