Current user, possible 2nd license

Hello All,

I've been using (and testing) unRaid for several months now, having a great time learning and experimenting. Assembled a rather oversized server with dual E5-2687w's, 128GB ram, lots of expandable storage, NVMe cache drives, etc.

I put together a second computer for gateway / ad-blocking / VPN / etc. use. It has single Xeon E5-2690 (2.9 GHz, 8 core, 16 thread), onboard Intel Gb nic, Intel I350-T4 V2 quad-port nic, 16GB ECC ram (supports up to 64GB), storage as needed. Plans are to run things like a pfSense VM, piHole (maybe, but considering just using pfblockerng), openvpn or other vpn server, some type of VPN client to existing provider, and other Docker containers, lxc's, lxd's (maybe), lightweight VM's.

I am testing Proxmox right now for the gateway base OS. There is, like anything, a learning curve associated with this system. I'm starting to wonder if it might be easier and less time-consuming to just purchase a basic unRaid license to run on the gateway box. The cost of the basic unRaid license isn't a big deal to me.

Is this type of unRaid usage worth experimenting with, considering I won't be using one of the primary functions of unRaid, the NAS part? Am i limiting myself by going this direction vs. Proxmox (or other hosting environment)? I've searched and haven't found much about people doing this type of thing with their unRaid system while not using the NAS functionality.

Just out of curiosity, do you need your 2nd Computer out of practical Reasons like the Physical Local?

I personally would try somelink like this with the existing Unraid Server with expansion Cards when mine would be so powerfull with dual E5-2687w's and 128GB RAM.
But I also know Proxmox and as you said like anything, a learning curve is associated with this System.

Personally I would say it depends on what your future Plans are. If your Plans are to only marginally touch this Gateway Server and the main purpose for proxmox would be this one Machine I wouldn't hassle.

Proxmox it a powerfull Tool which can also be used in Business Environments. At first thought Clustering,  Storage-Area-Network (SAN) Access and also the Web GUI Firewalling Part comes to mind and I'am sure there is much more.

So my Conclusion on your Situation?
Do you only use this in an "Home Environment" or do you intend this as a limited User Project? I would stay with Unraid yes the NAS portion is a major Selling point but all depends on your Value. I personally have a Backup Server were the "NAS-functionality" is based out of a JABOD array without any parrity and a bunch of Docker for VPN and Motioneye. But Setup time of this whole System is also a factor.

But this is only my humble opinion of  your situation.

Greetings

Stroker