New drive not seen by unraid. How to check h310?

I recently purchased a  WD easystore 8TB which I shucked with the intention of putting in my unraid server. I connected it via usb and formatted it to NTFS ensure all the WD crap was gone. Once formatted I shut down my server and added the drive. Upon restarting I noticed that unraid wasn't listing the drive as unassigned so I checked system devices and saw that it wasn't listed at all. On a typical computer I would drop to the bios to make sure the mobo itself could see the drive. Unfortunately I'm using a Perc h310 flashed to IT mode, and an Intel res2sv240 sas expander card and have no idea how to see if they are detecting the drive. The bios on my mobo only lists the unraid flash drive as attached storage. The mobo is a ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS

Thing I do know:

1. My daily driver pc will detect and access the drive when connected via usb.

2. Unraid will detect and access the drive if it's connected via usb.

3. I can write to and read from the drive on both systems with no issues.

Any idea on where I should go from here?

21 minutes ago, thatnovaguy said:

I recently purchased a  WD easystore 8TB which I shucked with the intention of putting in my unraid server. I connected it via usb and formatted it to NTFS ensure all the WD crap was gone. Once formatted I shut down my server and added the drive. Upon restarting I noticed that unraid wasn't listing the drive as unassigned so I checked system devices and saw that it wasn't listed at all. On a typical computer I would drop to the bios to make sure the mobo itself could see the drive. Unfortunately I'm using a Perc h310 flashed to IT mode, and an Intel res2sv240 sas expander card and have no idea how to see if they are detecting the drive. The bios on my mobo only lists the unraid flash drive as attached storage. The mobo is a ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS

Thing I do know:

1. My daily driver pc will detect and access the drive when connected via usb.

2. Unraid will detect and access the drive if it's connected via usb.

3. I can write to and read from the drive on both systems with no issues.

Any idea on where I should go from here?

If the BIOS doesn't see the drive, there is no way unRAID will see it. Do you have any other drives attached to the controller?

I have several 8TB drives shucked from Easystore enclosures and they are attached to a Dell H310 in IT mode.  All show up fine in unRAID.  Is it by chance a white label drive?  If so, it could be the SATA 3.3v reset issue that is causing it to not be recognized.  Recent white label drives tend to have that "feature."

All of my shucked drives work fine in my server because my hot-swap drive cages are powered by molex connectors which bypass the SATA reset problem.  USB connections will do the same.  If you only have the problem when they are connected with SATA power, this may be your problem.  Some strategically placed Kapton tape on the drive SATA power connector will solve the problem if this is the issue.

See here for details.

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

If the BIOS doesn't see the drive, there is no way unRAID will see it. Do you have any other drives attached to the controller?

I have several 8TB drives shucked from Easystore enclosures and they are attached to a Dell H310 in IT mode.  All show up fine in unRAID.  Is it by chance a white label drive?  If so, it could be the SATA 3.3v reset issue that is causing it to not be recognized.  Recent white label drives tend to have that "feature."

All of my shucked drives work fine in my server because my hot-swap drive cages are powered by molex connectors which bypass the SATA reset problem.  USB connections will do the same.  If you only have the problem when they are connected with SATA power, this may be your problem.  Some strategically placed Kapton tape on the drive SATA power connector will solve the problem if this is the issue.

See here for details.

It is indeed a white label drive. I have 4 other drives connected to the controller but the bios doesn't seem to find those either. It's most likely the 3.3v reset issue you mentioned. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Edit: would a thin coat of conformal coating in place of Kapton tape work? (asking because I have it handy)

Edited by thatnovaguy
24 minutes ago, thatnovaguy said:

would a thin coat of conformal coating in place of Kapton tape work?

Yes, with the caveat that if it wears thin and allows contact either by insertion friction or vibration you may end up with a non-spinning drive at a very awkward time. Also, if the coating is too thick, you may end up damaging the SATA power cable or port.

Kapton is the clear winner, as it's practically designed for this type of application. Other insulating solutions would work, but you need to be mindful of the downsides. Another alternative is to disconnect the pad from the trace, but that's risky if you aren't super careful with your abrasive method. Clipping the pin out of the SATA power cable is another risky method.

Any solution that keeps power off of that pin will technically work, your choice.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Yes, with the caveat that if it wears thin and allows contact either by insertion friction or vibration you may end up with a non-spinning drive at a very awkward time. Also, if the coating is too thick, you may end up damaging the SATA power cable or port.

Kapton is the clear winner, as it's practically designed for this type of application. Other insulating solutions would work, but you need to be mindful of the downsides. Another alternative is to disconnect the pad from the trace, but that's risky if you aren't super careful with your abrasive method. Clipping the pin out of the SATA power cable is another risky method.

Any solution that keeps power off of that pin will technically work, your choice.

Ok, I'll look into ordering some Kapton. Thanks for the advice!

23 minutes ago, thatnovaguy said:

Ok, I'll look into ordering some Kapton. Thanks for the advice!

If your power supply has a Molex power cable and you happen to have a Molex to SATA power adapter lying around (I have a bunch of them that came with older motherboards) you could verify that the SATA 3.3v reset is the issue by connecting Molex power to the drive.  If the drive shows up in the BIOS, order your Kapton tape for a more "permanent" and safer solution.

Edited by Hoopster