Jump to content
UhClem

Intel RMS25KB080 (LSI 2308) HBA [for S2600 Mobo ONLY!] - $8 shipped

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

http://www.madepc.com/Intel-8-Ports-SAS-RAID-Controller-PCI-Express-2-0-p/301005654-08.htm

Price: $8.14 each - Free shipping (Geez, I can't even use this, but I "want" to buy one at this price---must resist ...)

 (very reliable seller - but can use AmazonPAY if u want)

   Manufacturer:Intel Corp

   Mfr.Part Number:RMS25KB080

   MadePC SKU:301005654-08

   Condition:New

   Notes:RMS25KB080, 1 Year Warranty, Hight Profile Bracket, Low Profile Bracket

 

Thought: Folks using other LSI-based cards in their S2600's might want to buy these,

and free-up/repurpose their "unlocked" cards. win-win

 

Share this post


Link to post

It is locked to the specific server board? I thought these things were just a pci-e controller for sas/sata drives

Share this post


Link to post

For $7US and free shipping to CAN, I just took a shot at it.

Sent via telekinesis

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/27/2019 at 3:33 AM, UhClem said:

http://www.madepc.com/Intel-8-Ports-SAS-RAID-Controller-PCI-Express-2-0-p/301005654-08.htm

Price: $8.14 each - Free shipping (Geez, I can't even use this, but I "want" to buy one at this price---must resist ...)

 (very reliable seller - but can use AmazonPAY if u want)

   Manufacturer:Intel Corp

   Mfr.Part Number:RMS25KB080

   MadePC SKU:301005654-08

   Condition:New

   Notes:RMS25KB080, 1 Year Warranty, Hight Profile Bracket, Low Profile Bracket

 

Thought: Folks using other LSI-based cards in their S2600's might want to buy these,

and free-up/repurpose their "unlocked" cards. win-win

 

So this is known to work on the Intel S2600 motherboards?   Will these need to be flashed to IT mode?

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, tr0910 said:

So this is known to work on the Intel S2600 motherboards?  

 

That is my understanding -- based on reading/research (no hands-on experience) -- seems to have been spurts of interest/discussion over at forums.servethehome.com.

 

Note: The very important point is that it is known to work  ONLY on S2600 boards (possibly a few other Intel server boards). It is a LSI 2308-based board, but Intel has locked its interoperability, ... but not the general functionality.

3 hours ago, tr0910 said:

Will these need to be flashed to IT mode?

Need?? I don't know, but considering that, even if they already had IT firmware, it's probably old version and might benefit from an update. The important thing is that it looks like updating to (newer) IT firmware is possible, and follows the standard Modus Operandi-- see [Link]  (posts by "Marsh", toward the end).

 

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. :) [Or, better, "Trust, but verify."]

 

Also, [Intel doc for the board]

No promises, but there's even a chance it is PCIe v3.0.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Sounds like I should order one and test.  I have several s2600 motherboards with 1 or 2 cpus.  Thanks...

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

OK, attempting to flash.  Downloaded 9207_8i_Package_P20_IR_IT_FW_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows

From @marsh at serve the home
FYI , cross flash to LSI IT firmware

Intel server F6 boot
boot to UEFI shell
fs0:
dir

sas2flash.efi -list > sas.txt ( capture SAS address )
sas2flash.efi -o -e 7 ( work ok with -e 7 , erasing flash ) or -e 6
sas2flash.efi -f 9207-8.bin ( no rom )

sas2flash.efi -o -sasadd SAS address 

 

Edited by tr0910

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Note when you list the SAS address, it will be formatted with dashes for easy reading.  Do not enter the dashes.  Enter it as follows "sas2flash.efi -o -sasadd 5001E67C1B8A0000"

 

     Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2308_2(D1) 

     Controller Number              : 0
     Controller                     : SAS2308_2(D1) 
     PCI Address                    : 00:05:00:00
     SAS Address                    : 5001E67-C-1B8A-0000
     NVDATA Version (Default)       : 11.00.00.05
     NVDATA Version (Persistent)    : 11.00.00.05
     Firmware Product ID            : 0x2714 (IR)
     Firmware Version               : 17.00.01.00
     NVDATA Vendor                  : LSI
     NVDATA Product ID              : RMS25KB080.
     BIOS Version                   : 07.33.00.00
     UEFI BSD Version               : N/A
     FCODE Version                  : N/A
     Board Name                     : RMS25KB080.
     Board Assembly                 : N/A
     Board Tracer Number            : N/A

     Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
     Exiting SAS2Flash.

 

Edited by tr0910

Share this post


Link to post

Just to clarify, can you flash this with Supermicro IT firmware and use it on other motherboards?

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, cybrnook said:

Just to clarify, can you flash this with Supermicro IT firmware and use it on other motherboards?

 

On 5/5/2019 at 3:36 AM, UhClem said:

The very important point is that it is known to work  ONLY on S2600 boards (possibly a few other Intel server boards).

 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, I read that earlier in the thread, but from the last few posts it appeared to me that a user flashed SM IT mode firmware on it. Just wanted to check, moving on now..... 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, cybrnook said:

from the last few posts it appeared to me that a user flashed SM IT mode firmware on it.

Yep. Updated to latest firmware. Just because it's locked to a specific set of intel boards doesn't mean you have to run old firmware on it.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.