Multiple Server - Best Practices?

noja

Hi! I'm trying to learn about the best way to network between two servers.  Currently I have whitebox with tons of storage capacity on an x5675 (Srv1).  I also just acquired a DL360e Gen8 that has a bit more processor/ram horsepower (Srv2).  I have unRAID successfully running on both servers, cache disks etc.  I'm curious though, what are the best practices of utilizing the main storage on Srv1 and running most containers from Srv2 fom both a software and hardware perspective? 

I currently have NFS shares available from Srv1 which map to Srv2 through Unassigned Devices and docker mapping is set to RW/Slave.  Both servers connect through single nics on Cat6 through a layer 3 Nortel/Avaya switch.  

The issue that makes me ask this question is that when running Airsonic on Srv1, a full library scan is done within like 30 seconds.  Airsonic on Srv2, with appdata on a cache ssd takes about 5 min for a library scan with the same number of files.

EDIT - Airsonic has the "Fast access mode" for a reason.  It greatly sped up the scan time.  However, I'd still like to find out if I've set up the best method for connecting between servers.

Do I have my setup wrong? Am I missing something?  Is there already a write up out there on the best way to connect these two servers? 

Thanks!

Edited by noja