[Support] Linuxserver.io - OpenVPN AS

Guest dranani

I'm trying to set this up so that I dont have to mess with LetsEncrypt and NGINX but I'm having some issues.

I can't connect when i have it set to host instead of bridge. Is that an issue?

Also once I have the admin page up how do i connect it to the app on my phone? I've read the dockerhub page but I'm missing something.

I also can't figure out how to change the user/passw as I have never messed around in the terminal on UnRaid and am afraid that I will mess something up.

I'm trying to set this up so that I dont have to mess with LetsEncrypt and NGINX but I'm having some issues.

Also once I have the admin page up how do i connect it to the app on my phone? I've read the dockerhub page but I'm missing something.

I also can't figure out how to change the user/passw as I have never messed around in the terminal on UnRaid and am afraid that I will mess something up.

Take a look at this http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=43317.120

Guest dranani

I just noticed that it is showing that port 1194 is not open even though i have it forwarded. Any ideas

EDIT: Nevermind. I wiped everything and tried again with what you linked and it worked flawlessly. thank you

I just noticed that it is showing that port 1194 is not open even though i have it forwarded. Any ideas

EDIT: Nevermind. I wiped everything and tried again with what you linked and it worked flawlessly. thank you

Glad it worked out for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question in regards to accessing unraid through the opnevpn docker. I have it all setup through the bridged mode. I can connect with my iphone. I have no access to unraid, I can access everything else with in my network such as other pc's through rdc. Im just curious if I have to edit anything in regards to the docker settings or open vpn. Thanks

I have OpenVPN server installed on my router and I am just starting to use unRAID.  Is there any advantage to installing OpenVPN server on my unRAID box instead?

Nope, better off on your router as then if your Unraid OpenVPN goes down you would still be able to log in.

I have OpenVPN server installed on my router and I am just starting to use unRAID.  Is there any advantage to installing OpenVPN server on my unRAID box instead?

Nope, better off on your router as then if your Unraid OpenVPN goes down you would still be able to log in.

On the flip side, most home routers don't have nearly enough CPU to provide full bandwidth VPN throughput. So, if you are using the VPN to manage machines, then router is best, if you are trying to stream content or share files over the VPN, server based is better.

For most people, router is best, as streaming is handled by plex or emby over https.

So I can connect to the OpenVPN server from a remote network, however I don't seem to have access to anything on my local network, such as the UnRAID server. Any clue why that would be? It claims it has internet access. The error that comes up in Chrome when I use my server ip is that it took too long to respond. I can attach a server log once I get home.

EDIT: Attached the diagnostics file.

bitwise-diagnostics-20170216-1345.zip

Hello, I've installed docker and trying to logon via WebUi, but I cant see anywhere what the default user name and password are, can you help with that please? (Plus receiving SSL errors (So I'm assessing via advance tab) Cheers, Julian

Issue fixed now

Edited by huntjules
fixed
56 minutes ago, huntjules said:

Hello, I've installed docker and trying to logon via WebUi, but I cant see anywhere what the default user name and password are, can you help with that please? (Plus receiving SSL errors (So I'm assessing via advance tab) Cheers, Julian

Doh.. figured out default user credentials (user = admin & password = password) _ will obviously need to change!

Hello, I've noticed the default password for UnRaid OpenVPN docker isn't the same default root password from OpenVPN site, (which should be  use the following credentials: Username: root Password: openvpnas ) but this doesn't work when I'm ssh-ing into box.

Whats the default root and password please, as I obviously need to change this!

5 minutes ago, huntjules said:

Hello, I've noticed the default password for UnRaid OpenVPN docker isn't the same default root password from OpenVPN site, (which should be  use the following credentials: Username: root Password: openvpnas ) but this doesn't work when I'm ssh-ing into box.

Whats the default root and password please, as I obviously need to change this!

There are no ssh enabled in the container. 

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, wgstarks said:

Saw a comment in another thread that when running OpenVPN-AS as a docker on my unRAID server it won't be possible to access the other services provided by the server (shares, other dockers, webgui, etc). Is this true?

No, that's exactly what I use it for.

On 2/21/2017 at 7:20 PM, jonathanm said:

Hello thank you. those instructions look useful, but where do i type in the test " docker exec -it openvpn-as passwd admin " please? (sorry I'm a windows person, I'm learning linux)

I've retried ssh, and cant get past login screen

Edited by huntjules
3 minutes ago, huntjules said:

Hello thank you. those instructions look useful, but where do i type in the test " docker exec -it openvpn-as passwd admin " please? (sorry I'm a windows person, I'm learning linux)

I've retried ssh, and cant get past login screen

When you use ssh it's the username and password for unraid. So username is root and password the password you set for the root account (if you did).

16 minutes ago, saarg said:

When you use ssh it's the username and password for unraid. So username is root and password the password you set for the root account (if you did).

Aha, thank you. I was trying to user the OpenVPN default passwords.. working now. cheers!

Edited by huntjules
  • trurl pinned and unpinned this topic