[Support] Linuxserver.io - OpenVPN AS

5 hours ago, FreeMan said:

This is the 2nd time I've tried installing OpenVPN-AS, and I've had trouble logging in as any user other than default admin both times.

Here's my config screen:

image.png.87106ed9ad6e5ea6c011ce90bbab5b61.png

Per the recommendations at Linuxserver's site, I've created a new users "localadmin":

image.png.493047ebfb3f2333b96714022e8ae612.png

I usually use KeePass to create long, complex, random passwords, but, because I've been having issues (which I thought may be related to pasting the password into the telnet session), I created a simple password for this account that I knew I could type correctly.

I've granted this new user admin rights:

image.png.e89bc6f60a19371e56219b5f32f6e3c9.png

I have authentication set to local so my users & passwords survive reinstall:

image.png.8b09fa6eadc8ad8aadf9a7df51d654df.png

Yet every time I try to log in as my new "localadmin" I'm told that it's an incorrect login:

image.png.aedf0fe5aa6ce62bb7e1ac3714be8932.png

I've attached the log after the most recent login attempt.

If someone would point me in the right direction, I'd be most grateful!

openvpn.log

Linuxserver site does not tell you to add users through command line. 

I repeat, do not add users through command line. 

Follow the steps in the original post. They're super simple. 

7 hours ago, FreeMan said:

That did the trick!

I really appreciate the work @gridrunner has done with his video, but it seems that it really needs to be updated. Additionally, since so many places around here point users to that video, it would be super helpful if the linuxserver page contained a couple of notes on what's out dated and the current best methods. (hint, hint, @CHBMB :) ).

I have actually made a start on a new video for OpenVPN-AS will be up in next couple of weeks, hopefully, end of next week... 

• Like 2

Linuxserver site does not tell you to add users through command line. 

Follow the steps in the original post. They're super simple. 
Thanks! I did get that part sorted with wgstarks' help.

I'm still struggling with the timeout issue when I try to connect with the openvpn client, though. Any thoughts on that?

Sent from Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, FreeMan said:

I'm still struggling with the timeout issue when I try to connect with the openvpn client, though. Any thoughts on that?

Just to be sure, you do have the proper ports forwarded to the docker in your firewall right? That’s the only problem I have ever had when trying to connect to my docker.

1 hour ago, wgstarks said:

It actually defaults to two ports. UDP 1194 and TCP 9443. If you have gotten the paid license for OpenVPN that allows more than two users you may need both ports. My understanding is that they alternate for load balancing.

Good point.  I have only used the free version and rarely have more than one connected user, so, I have only forwarded UDP 1194 and that has been sufficient.  I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that FreeMan - as his names suggests - was only using the free version :D)

Edited by Hoopster

@Hoopster and @wgstarks - shocking, I know, but I opened those ports and now I can connect with no issue at all.

I guess I was just busy having a brain dead evening. Thanks for the help.

I am using the free version and probably will continue with that, but I may pony up for the paid version, depending on how much the kids use it.

20 hours ago, aptalca said:

aptalca - what will happen now that I've created two users at the command line? I've added the same user names via the web interface, and I've connected using one of them (the other is my local admin account that will probably never be used for an actual VPN connection. Will they be deleted next time the docker is updated, or are they good now since I've added them the proper way?

I've tried loading this on 3 different machines.  Can't get to the login screen.  Any hints?

This is what I get below...

Can’t reach this page
  • Check that all network cables are plugged in.
  • Verify that airplane mode is turned off.
  • Make sure your wireless switch is turned on.
  • See if you can connect to mobile broadband.
  • Restart your router.
More information <id id="moreInformation">More information</id>

This website could not be found.

Error Code: INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND

Fix connection problems

I've tried loading this on 3 different machines.  Can't get to the login screen.  Any hints?
This is what I get below...  
Fix connection problems

I'm not the OpenVPN guru (see my issues just a few posts up), but I'm pretty sure you'll get more help if you post some logs and screen shots of your configuration instead of the browser error message.

As a tip, try reading through my posts and the responses over the last 48 hours or so and double check all those items, you may well find your solution is already there. Then again, you may not...

Sent from Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
Thanks.  I'll have a look.
I just loaded the docker straight from the unraid apps without modifications as I was told it would just work.  Docker says it has started but no go.

The docker I was trying was Linuxserver's

There wasn't much configuration necessary, but it did take some. Generally speaking, though, it did just work right out of the box.

Sent from Tapatalk

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:20 AM, gridrunner said:

I have actually made a start on a new video for OpenVPN-AS will be up in next couple of weeks, hopefully, end of next week... 

I cannot wait for the video as I followed the steps of previous but I'm unable to connect to it. Look forward to the video

26 minutes ago, BSAVAG3 said:

I cannot wait for the video as I followed the steps of previous but I'm unable to connect to it. Look forward to the video

For now I would recommend the instructions linked in the OP-  https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/openvpn-as/

Scroll down to "Setting up the application".

All steps are performed in the webgui unless specifically directed otherwise.

If you run into any issues, post them.

Thank you, I will try when I get off work tonight.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yeah, scroll up a few posts and look at the issues I had trying to follow the out of date video and the hand smack I got for it.

Note: I really appreciate gridrunner's video effort and alpatca's advice. I'm not complaining about either!

Sent from Tapatalk

Hello,

Is it ok to use the command line to reset a password? I just tried to log in to the admin user I created (not the system admin) and the password I thought it was, did not work and I got a lockout message. If I use the code below would that mess things up?

docker exec -it openvpn-as passwd admin

• trurl pinned and unpinned this topic