[Support] Linuxserver.io - OpenVPN AS

On 5/4/2018 at 11:08 PM, aptalca said:

It seems your issue is definitely with openvpn settings since you can access other containers from inside that container. Perhaps you should ask on openvpn forums

I don't think it is an OpenVPN settings issue.  I think it is a problem with the docker bridging.  When openvpn-as is set to use br0, I can connect to VPN, and I can access all my other dockers that use bridging, but can't access the internet or other machines on my network.  When I set openvpn-as to use standard eth0 I can connect to VPN, access internet and other resources, but can't access any of the other docker images that use br0 networking.

Might be a very silly question but has anyone ever managed to get this to work on a linux OS ? i recently switched from windows to linux mint 18  and ive tried following the very simple instructions of creating a new connection and tried launching it from the terminal nothing seems to be working for me

2 hours ago, jfrancais said:

I don't think it is an OpenVPN settings issue.  I think it is a problem with the docker bridging.  When openvpn-as is set to use br0, I can connect to VPN, and I can access all my other dockers that use bridging, but can't access the internet or other machines on my network.  When I set openvpn-as to use standard eth0 I can connect to VPN, access internet and other resources, but can't access any of the other docker images that use br0 networking.

When you say you set openvpn to use br0, do you mean openvpn is running in bridge mode, on br0, or do you mean it is running in host mode but interface is set to br0? 

My openvpn is running in host mode. Interface is set to bond0 (i have eth0 and eth1 bridged under bond0 in unraid settings). 

I can connect to all dockers running in host or bridge mode (br0 or user custom bridge) as well as all other machines on the network, including vlans. 

Keep in mind that I wouldn't be able to connect to any dockers that have their own ip (macvlan) because docker blocks direct connection between host and macvlan, and openvpn is running on host, but I don't have any that do macvlan that I want to connect to anyway. 

20 hours ago, aptalca said:

When you say you set openvpn to use br0, do you mean openvpn is running in bridge mode, on br0, or do you mean it is running in host mode but interface is set to br0? 

My openvpn is running in host mode. Interface is set to bond0 (i have eth0 and eth1 bridged under bond0 in unraid settings). 

I can connect to all dockers running in host or bridge mode (br0 or user custom bridge) as well as all other machines on the network, including vlans. 

Keep in mind that I wouldn't be able to connect to any dockers that have their own ip (macvlan) because docker blocks direct connection between host and macvlan, and openvpn is running on host, but I don't have any that do macvlan that I want to connect to anyway. 

In the docker settings for openvpn-as I have network type set to br0, fixed ip address set to 192.168.1.56 and INTERFACE variable set to eth0.  With this, VPN clients can connect to my VPN and can access my other docker applications that are also setup on br0 but they cant access the internet or any other part of my LAN.

If I set the docker settings for openvpn-as to have a network type of bridge, VPN clients can still connect, can access the internet and other parts of my LAN but none of the docker images on br0 (which is expected, that is why I'm trying to move the openvpn-as docker to br0).

trouble shooting br0 scenario using:

docker exec -it openvpn-as /bin/bash

and I can curl http://www.limetech.com and get a response and I can curl http://192.168.1.1 (gateway) and http://192.168.1.50 (a docker on br0) and also get results.  

But to my connected VPN clients I can't see gateway or external internet.

23 hours ago, Sinister said:

Might be a very silly question but has anyone ever managed to get this to work on a linux OS ? i recently switched from windows to linux mint 18  and ive tried following the very simple instructions of creating a new connection and tried launching it from the terminal nothing seems to be working for me

I've had it working on Ubuntu as a client.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, CHBMB said:

I've had it working on Ubuntu as a client.

what did you do to set it up ? im fairly new to linux but not a newbie to tech ive tried getting this thing going using the network manager and it just will not connect no matter what it connects if im on windows using the openvpngui or on my android smart phone so what gives here ?

2 minutes ago, Sinister said:

what did you do to set it up ? im fairly new to linux but not a newbie to tech ive tried getting this thing going using the network manager and it just will not connect no matter what it connects if im on windows using the openvpngui or on my android smart phone so what gives here ?

Just tried it on Solus as well and it worked fine.....

Download your profile onto your Linux machine, go to network, add VPN, choose option "From file" click add.

You need to be outside your LAN to connect to it though, I use a hotspot on my phone and a 4G connection to test

Screenshot from 2018-05-08 22-52-57.png

7 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Just tried it on Solus as well and it worked fine.....

Download your profile onto your Linux machine, go to network, add VPN, choose option "From file" click add.

You need to be outside your LAN to connect to it though, I use a hotspot on my phone and a 4G connection to test

Screenshot from 2018-05-08 22-52-57.png622358937_Screenshotfrom2018-05-0818-00-01.thumb.png.5b635339007e0e2468843a24d18735a4.png

this is what i get when trying to import my client file

Looks like a mint issue.  I'll try and boot into a Live Install and see if it works for me.  To be honest, Mint looks nice, but I think Ubuntu is a better distro.

Which version of Mint you using?  Cinnamon or Mate?

Edited by CHBMB

cinnamon

5 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Looks like a mint issue.  I'll try and boot into a Live Install and see if it works for me.  To be honest, Mint looks nice, but I think Ubuntu is a better distro.

Which version of Mint you using?  Cinnamon or Mate?

I've deleted this container but yet when I look at TOP on the server, it's using anywhere between 30-70% CPU. I've killed the process multiple times and it still keeps coming back. I've also used CA Cleanup Appdata to completely remove the orphaned data. Any suggestions?

I've deleted this container but yet when I look at TOP on the server, it's using anywhere between 30-70% CPU. I've killed the process multiple times and it still keeps coming back. I've also used CA Cleanup Appdata to completely remove the orphaned data. Any suggestions?
Probably a docker.img problem. Check out the docker FAQ on how to recreate it.
19 hours ago, CHBMB said:

I've not tried in Mate. I use Solus Budgie.
Just try it booting from a live USB to test

so here is what i ended up doing i loaded up solus and imported the config file and it worked with no problem i then found the directory where it made the certificates

and then copied them to a usb stick i also made sure to take note of the settings used in the openvpn plugin and copied them exactly. after reinstalling linux mint and i was able to connect both in solus and in linux mint the last hurdle for me now is that i cant connect to any shares or my unraid server. though when i use teamviewer to access my home network and launch the openvpn docker it does show my 1 client as connected am i missing something simple ? to be clear i do connect successfully via vpn but cant access anything on the network

4 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

There's a setting somewhere in OpenVPN-AS to allow you to browse the LAN

I believe I already know which one your talking about and it' is enabled by default I just connected through my mobile device and I can access everything with no problem

• trurl pinned and unpinned this topic