[Support] Linuxserver.io - OpenVPN AS

I couldn't get the rollback to work, but I got the latest version working. I uninstalled the docker, then reinstalled the latest version. Then I deleted the profile from my phone app and redownload the profile and installed it. Been working fine.

Hi there,

Okay, so came here due to the latest update killing my OpenVPN server (rolled back to linuxserver/openvpn-as:2.6.1-ls11 as per earlier posts), and got it working again.

However, a quick check of the syslog shows:

connect() to unix:/var/tmp/openvpn-as.sock failed (111: Connection refused) while connecting to upstream, client

Restarted docker, still persists...

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Xav.

I rewrote the openvpn-as setup steps to prevent breaking updates. Can I get a few volunteers to test going from 2.6.1 to 2.7.3?

If you're interested, please first back up your app data, then change the image in your container settings to "lsiodev/openvpn-as" from "linuxserver/openvpn-as:2.6.1.ls11" and let us know here?

It worked for my install but I may have had changed other things manually while tinkering.

Thanks

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, aptalca said:

I rewrote the openvpn-as setup steps to prevent breaking updates. Can I get a few volunteers to test going from 2.6.1 to 2.7.3?

If you're interested, please first back up your app data, then change the image in your container settings to "lsiodev/openvpn-as" from "linuxserver/openvpn-as:2.6.1.ls11" and let us know here?

It worked for my install but I may have had changed other things manually while tinkering.

Thanks

Works for me.  Now running version 2.7.3 from the lsiodev/openvpn-as repository.   I tested connecting from two clients.  Both connected with no problem.

Well done.

OVPN.png

Thanks so much for the confirmation. We are now using the openvpn recommended backup and restore steps whenever the container is recreated. Hopefully this should alleviate any issues arising from version updates. Downside is, openvpn is installed on container start of a newly created container, which increases the overall space used (between the image and the container) by about 44MB due to duplication, but I think it's a worthwhile compromise.

1 hour ago, aptalca said:

Thanks so much for the confirmation. We are now using the openvpn recommended backup and restore steps whenever the container is recreated. Hopefully this should alleviate any issues arising from version updates. Downside is, openvpn is installed on container start of a newly created container, which increases the overall space used (between the image and the container) by about 44MB due to duplication, but I think it's a worthwhile compromise. 

I can also confirm that using lsio/openvpn-as repository works for me as well!

image.thumb.png.ce45984573cdfd5d65a0080d48265096.png

3 hours ago, pncgeorge said:

Works for me as well.  Now running version 2.7.3 from the lsiodev/openvpn-as repository.  Will this change back to linuxserver/openvpn-as at some point?

Once we merge to master, I'll notify here so you can switch back to the "linuxserver/openvpn-as" image

Need some quick help. I originally set up openvpn with spaceinvaderones youtube video about a year ago. I have now purchased a new router. I upgraded from the asus rt-ac68p to the rt-ac86u. I copied over all of the previous settings in the router, but can not connect via openvpn. On the general settings tab in the router settings there is an exclamation mark next to the DDNS connection status, so I think the problem is with that. The settings in the new router are identical. Do I need to do something on the openvpn docker side? I'm sure it's something stupid that I am just missing...

7 hours ago, jebusfreek666 said:

Need some quick help. I originally set up openvpn with spaceinvaderones youtube video about a year ago. I have now purchased a new router. I upgraded from the asus rt-ac68p to the rt-ac86u. I copied over all of the previous settings in the router, but can not connect via openvpn. On the general settings tab in the router settings there is an exclamation mark next to the DDNS connection status, so I think the problem is with that. The settings in the new router are identical. Do I need to do something on the openvpn docker side? I'm sure it's something stupid that I am just missing...

The problem is you new router and not something in the container. If you have issues with ddns that is my bet. 

On 4/3/2019 at 10:47 PM, aptalca said:

Thanks

Can you please guide me how to install it using CLI?
i lost my vpn due the update, and the server is located on remote site, where i can't get in the next month or so.

nevermind fix it myself.

used this command to install new vpn using docker, then fix everything using the web

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="openvpn-as-fix" --net="host" --privileged="true" -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "TCP_PORT_943"="943" -e "TCP_PORT_9443"="9443" -e "UDP_PORT_1194"="1194" -e "INTERFACE"="bond0" -e "PGID"="100" -e "PUID"="99" -v "/mnt/user":"/unraid":rw -v "/mnt/user/appdata/openvpn-as":"/config":rw linuxserver/openvpn-as:2.6.1-ls11

Edited by syniex
6 hours ago, syniex said:

Can you please guide me how to install it using CLI?
i lost my vpn due the update, and the server is located on remote site, where i can't get in the next month or so.

nevermind fix it myself.

used this command to install new vpn using docker, then fix everything using the web

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name="openvpn-as-fix" --net="host" --privileged="true" -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="unRAID" -e "TCP_PORT_943"="943" -e "TCP_PORT_9443"="9443" -e "UDP_PORT_1194"="1194" -e "INTERFACE"="bond0" -e "PGID"="100" -e "PUID"="99" -v "/mnt/user":"/unraid":rw -v "/mnt/user/appdata/openvpn-as":"/config":rw linuxserver/openvpn-as:2.6.1-ls11

Glad you got it sorted.

I'd highly recommend backup options if the server is remote.

I personally have 3 options: 1) openvpn on router 2) openvpn on unraid 3) wireguard on an rpi

3 hours ago, aptalca said:

Alright ladies and gents, the rewrite for openvpn has been pushed to master and there is a new build on docker hub. You should be able to return to linuxserver/openvpn-as or update to 2.7.3 safely

It looks like making the switch from lsiodev back to linuxserver repository makes openvpn-as act like a new install.  I have lost my custom admin users so none of my profiles connect and it is back to the default admin/password login.  The rest of the customizations (server name, networks, etc.) are also gone.  I'll have to go through the initial setup again. Is this expected?

UPDATE:  I have reconfigured openvpn-as (had to download the client profile again to iOS devices) and all clients are connecting again.

Edited by Hoopster
2 minutes ago, Kristijan said:

Hi, tnx, i read all on this link, but i don't know what i must do to connect to openvpn WEB UI. I always have "Web page cant be displayed". Sorry i am new in unraid. Last version open vpn working normally.

He's trying to tell you what you have to post so we can help you.  Post the info as described in that link.

20 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

He's trying to tell you what you have to post so we can help you.  Post the info as described in that link.

I don't know which info is needed. I install openvpn over spaceinvader tutorial, but now when i update to new version can't connect to WEB UI.

Which info is needed? Tnx

Having issues since updating :

Docker container updated fine. Container started and logged into web UI. Service was NOT running and when you try to start it you get the following:

Error:

service failed to start due to unresolved dependencies: set(['user'])

service failed to start due to unresolved dependencies: set(['iptables_openvpn'])

Service deferred error: IPTablesServiceBase: failed to run iptables-restore [status=2]: ['iptables-restore v1.6.0: Bad IP address ""', '', 'Error occurred at line: 136', "Try `iptables-restore -h' or 'iptables-restore --help' for more information."]: internet/defer:653,sagent/ipts:133,sagent/ipts:50,util/daemon:28,util/daemon:69,application/app:384,scripts/_twistd_unix:258,application/app:396,application/app:311,internet/base:1243,internet/base:1255,internet/epollreactor:235,python/log:103,python/log:86,python/context:122,python/context:85,internet/posixbase:627,internet/posixbase:252,internet/abstract:313,internet/process:312,internet/process:973,internet/process:985,internet/process:350,internet/_baseprocess:52,internet/process:987,internet/_baseprocess:64,svc/pp:142,svc/svcnotify:32,internet/defer:459,internet/defer:567,internet/defer:653,sagent/ipts:133,sagent/ipts:50,util/error:66,util/error:47

service failed to start due to unresolved dependencies: set(['user', 'iptables_live', 'iptables_openvpn'])

service failed to start due to unresolved dependencies: set(['iptables_live', 'iptables_openvpn'])

Docker deployed as follows: 

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='openvpn-as' --net='host' --privileged=true -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'TCP_PORT_943'='943' -e 'TCP_PORT_9443'='9443' -e 'UDP_PORT_1194'='1194' -e 'INTERFACE'='eth0' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'PUID'='99' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/openvpn-as':'/config':'rw' 'linuxserver/openvpn-as' 

e005927c1b69a868509c178eb48cd476ec0f98fa67ef0442a9d8daf62d03058b

The command finished successfully!

Log file below: 

ErrorWarningSystemArrayLogin

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

-------------------------------------
_ ()
| | ___ _ __
| | / __| | | / \
| | \__ \ | | | () |
|_| |___/ |_| \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
GID/UID

User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 20-time: executing...

Current default time zone: 'America/Los_Angeles'
Local time is now: Sat Apr 6 14:45:24 PDT 2019.
Universal Time is now: Sat Apr 6 21:45:24 UTC 2019.

[cont-init.d] 20-time: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-config: executing...
existing data found, reinstalling openvpn-as
backing up certs.db
backing up cluster.db
backing up config.db
backing up config_local.db
backing up log.db
backing up notification.db
backing up userprop.db
backing up as.conf
Selecting previously unselected package openvpn-as.
(Reading database ... 11947 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack /openvpn/openvpn.deb ...
Unpacking openvpn-as (2.7.3-05bc07c0-Ubuntu16) ...
Setting up openvpn-as (2.7.3-05bc07c0-Ubuntu16) ...
Automatic configuration failed, see /usr/local/openvpn_as/init.log
You can configure manually using the /usr/local/openvpn_as/bin/ovpn-init tool.
Beginning with OpenVPN AS 2.6.0 compression is disabled by default and on upgrades as security patch.
restoring certs.db
restoring cluster.db
restoring config.db
restoring config_local.db
restoring log.db
restoring notification.db
restoring userprop.db
restoring as.conf
[cont-init.d] 30-config: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-openvpn-init: executing...
[cont-init.d] 40-openvpn-init: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-interface: executing...
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
[cont-init.d] 50-interface: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.

init.log:

/mnt/user/appdata/openvpn-as# cat init.log

OpenVPN Access Server

Initial Configuration Tool

------------------------------------------------------

OpenVPN Access Server End User License Agreement (OpenVPN-AS EULA)

1. Copyright Notice: OpenVPN Access Server License;

Copyright (c) 2009-2019 OpenVPN Inc. All rights reserved.

"OpenVPN" is a trademark of OpenVPN Inc.

2. Redistribution of OpenVPN Access Server binary forms and related documents,

are permitted provided that redistributions of OpenVPN Access Server binary

forms and related documents reproduce the above copyright notice as well as

a complete copy of this EULA.

3. You agree not to reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, modify,

translate, make any attempt to discover the source code of this software,

or create derivative works from this software.

4. The OpenVPN Access Server is bundled with other open source software

components, some of which fall under different licenses. By using OpenVPN

or any of the bundled components, you agree to be bound by the conditions

of the license for each respective component. For more information, you can

find our complete EULA (End-User License Agreement) on our website

(http://openvpn.net), and a copy of the EULA is also distributed with the

Access Server in the file /usr/local/openvpn_as/license.txt.

5. This software is provided "as is" and any expressed or implied warranties,

including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability

and fitness for a particular purpose are disclaimed. In no event shall

OpenVPN Inc. be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental,

special, exemplary, or consequential damages (including, but not limited

to, procurement of substitute goods or services; loss of use, data, or

profits; or business interruption) however caused and on any theory of

liability, whether in contract, strict liability, or tort (including

negligence or otherwise) arising in any way out of the use of this

software, even if advised of the possibility of such damage.

6. OpenVPN Inc. is the sole distributor of OpenVPN Access Server

licenses. This agreement and licenses granted by it may not be assigned,

sublicensed, or otherwise transferred by licensee without prior written

consent of OpenVPN Inc. Any licenses violating this provision

will be subject to revocation and deactivation, and will not be eligible

for refunds.

7. A purchased license entitles you to use this software for the duration of

time denoted on your license key on any one (1) particular device, up to

the concurrent user limit specified by your license. Multiple license keys

may be activated to achieve a desired concurrency limit on this given

device. Unless otherwise prearranged with OpenVPN Inc.,

concurrency counts on license keys are not to be divided for use amongst

multiple devices. Upon activation of the first purchased license key in

this software, you agree to forego any free licenses or keys that were

given to you for demonstration purposes, and as such, the free licenses

will not appear after the activation of a purchased key. You are

responsible for the timely activation of these licenses on your desired

server of choice. Refunds on purchased license keys are only possible

within 30 days of purchase of license key, and then only if the license key

has not already been activated on a system. To request a refund, contact us

through our support ticket system using the account you have used to

purchase the license key. Exceptions to this policy may be given for

machines under failover mode, and when the feature is used as directed in

the OpenVPN Access Server user manual. In these circumstances, a user is

granted one (1) license key (per original license key) for use solely on

failover purposes free of charge. Other failover and/or load balancing use

cases will not be eligible for this exception, and a separate license key

would have to be acquired to satisfy the licensing requirements. To request

a license exception, please file a support ticket in the OpenVPN Access

Server ticketing system. A staff member will be responsible for determining

exception eligibility, and we reserve the right to decline any requests not

meeting our eligibility criteria, or requests which we believe may be

fraudulent in nature.

8. Activating a license key ties it to the specific hardware/software

combination that it was activated on, and activated license keys are

nontransferable. Substantial software and/or hardware changes may

invalidate an activated license. In case of substantial software and/or

hardware changes, caused by for example, but not limited to failure and

subsequent repair or alterations of (virtualized) hardware/software, our

software product will automatically attempt to contact our online licensing

systems to renegotiate the licensing state. On any given license key, you

are limited to three (3) automatic renegotiations within the license key

lifetime. After these renegotiations are exhausted, the license key is

considered invalid, and the activation state will be locked to the last

valid system configuration it was activated on. OpenVPN Inc.reserves the

right to grant exceptions to this policy for license holders under

extenuating circumstances, and such exceptions can be requested through a

ticket via the OpenVPN Access Server ticketing system.

9. Once an activated license key expires or becomes invalid, the concurrency

limit on our software product will decrease by the amount of concurrent

connections previously granted by the license key. If all of your purchased

license key(s) have expired, the product will revert to demonstration mode,

which allows a maximum of two (2) concurrent users to be connected to your

server. Prior to your license expiration date(s), OpenVPN Inc. will attempt

to remind you to renew your license(s) by sending periodic email messages

to the licensee email address on record. You are solely responsible for

the timely renewal of your license key(s) prior to their expiration if

continued operation is expected after the license expiration date(s).

OpenVPN Inc. will not be responsible for any misdirected and/or undeliverable

email messages, nor does it have an obligation to contact you regarding

your expiring license keys.

10. Any valid license key holder is entitled to use our ticketing system for

support questions or issues specifically related to the OpenVPN Access

Server product. To file a ticket, go to our website at http://openvpn.net/

and sign in using the account that was registered and used to purchase the

license key(s). You can then access the support ticket system through our

website and submit a support ticket. Tickets filed in the ticketing system

are answered on a best-effort basis. OpenVPN Inc. staff

reserve the right to limit responses to users of our demo / expired

licenses, as well as requests that substantively deviate from the OpenVPN

Access Server product line. Tickets related to the open source version of

OpenVPN will not be handled here.

11. Purchasing a license key does not entitle you to any special rights or

privileges, except the ones explicitly outlined in this user agreement.

Unless otherwise arranged prior to your purchase with OpenVPN,

Inc., software maintenance costs and terms are subject to change after your

initial purchase without notice. In case of price decreases or special

promotions, OpenVPN Inc. will not retrospectively apply

credits or price adjustments toward any licenses that have already been

issued. Furthermore, no discounts will be given for license maintenance

renewals unless this is specified in your contract with OpenVPN Inc.

Once you provide a few initial configuration settings,

OpenVPN Access Server can be configured by accessing

its Admin Web UI using your Web browser.

Will this be the primary Access Server node?

(enter 'no' to configure as a backup or standby node)

> Press ENTER for default [yes]:

Please specify the network interface and IP address to be

used by the Admin Web UI:

(1) all interfaces: 0.0.0.0

(2) eth0: 10.0.1.50

(3) docker0: 172.17.0.1

(4) virbr0: 192.168.122.1

(5) virbr0-nic: 192.168.122.1

Please enter the option number from the list above (1-5).

> Press Enter for default [1]:

Please specify the port number for the Admin Web UI.

> Press ENTER for default [943]:

Please specify the TCP port number for the OpenVPN Daemon

> Press ENTER for default [443]:

Should client traffic be routed by default through the VPN?

Should client DNS traffic be routed by default through the VPN?

Use local authentication via internal DB?

Private subnets detected: ['10.0.1.0/24', '192.168.122.0/24', '172.17.0.0/16']

Should private subnets be accessible to clients by default?

To initially login to the Admin Web UI, you must use a

username and password that successfully authenticates you

with the host UNIX system (you can later modify the settings

so that RADIUS or LDAP is used for authentication instead).

You can login to the Admin Web UI as "openvpn" or specify

a different user account to use for this purpose.

Do you wish to login to the Admin UI as "openvpn"?

> Please specify your OpenVPN-AS license key (or leave blank to specify later): None

Initializing OpenVPN...

Removing Cluster Admin user login...

userdel "admin_c"

Adding new user login...

useradd -s /sbin/nologin "openvpn"

Writing as configuration file...

Perform sa init...

Wiping any previous userdb...

Creating default profile...

Modifying default profile...

Adding new user to userdb...

Modifying new user as superuser in userdb...

Getting hostname...

Hostname: Arya

Preparing web certificates...

Getting web user account...

Adding web group account...

Adding web user account...

Adding web group...

Adjusting license directory ownership...

Initializing confdb...

Generating init scripts...

Generating PAM config...

Generating init scripts auto command...

Starting openvpnas...

Error: Could not execute server start.

Edited by Jhp612
1 hour ago, Jhp612 said:

Having issues since updating :

Docker container updated fine. Container started and logged into web UI. Service was NOT running and when you try to start it you get the following:

Docker deployed as follows: 

Log file below: 

init.log:

Run it in bridge mode as shown on GitHub or docker hub page