[Support] Linuxserver.io - OpenVPN AS


1906 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have made un updated video guide for setting up this great container. It covers setting up the container, port forwarding and setting up clients on Windows, macOS Linux (ubuntu Mate) and on cel

PSA. It seems openvpn pushed another broken bin, tagged 2.7.3 I get the same error with it as I did with the previously pulled 2.7.2   While they/us try to figure it out, you can change

Ok, I used to be able to connect to Host network with this before the update....that allowed me to be assigned an IP on my WiFi subnet, which then allowed me to access the UnRAID GUI interface.  

Posted Images

On 10/18/2019 at 12:42 PM, StuDaBaiker said:

I'm also getting the script error, tried making a new container altogether and the same thing happens with a fresh install. There is probably a typo in one of the updates. I find this docker image has updates that break it very often. I don't use it except to access local devices remotely so it's not on that often, but when I need it tends to be broken half the time. 

 

Probably need to wait for an update or roll back to a previous version that works. 

 

EDIT: scratch that, a fresh install did work

 

Of course I was out of town when I found out it wasn't working, so just getting back to it now. I used to test it after every update, but I guess I got complacent and forgot to do that for a while now, so who knows how long it wasn't working. Now I'm back home and probably won't need it for a little while again, so I might wait until after this weekend or longer and see if an update fixes it eventually. It has been so long I have no idea how to set up from scratch anymore! I'll have to rewatch the SpaceInvaderOne video again to relearn how... Or maybe it's time to investigate alternatives like ZeroTier etc.

Link to post

VPN connection was working fine till I actually really needed it (on vacation).

 

Is there something we should be doing after the container updates? Otherwise, not sure why something that was working before without any changes would cease to function

Link to post
11 hours ago, andyd said:

VPN connection was working fine till I actually really needed it (on vacation).

 

Is there something we should be doing after the container updates? Otherwise, not sure why something that was working before without any changes would cease to function

No idea what your issues are, but as a rule of thumb, don't update this container while you're away on vacation.

 

Also, a backup plan is important (I have 3 vpn implementations running on 3 devices).

 

With that said, my instance is rock solid. Runs for weeks and no issues.

Link to post
7 hours ago, aptalca said:

No idea what your issues are, but as a rule of thumb, don't update this container while you're away on vacation.

 

Also, a backup plan is important (I have 3 vpn implementations running on 3 devices).

 

With that said, my instance is rock solid. Runs for weeks and no issues.

Yeah, I'll know going forward.

 

I actually disabled the one on my router when I saw I could set one up on Unraid =(

Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, rvlution said:

I've followed Spaceinvader One's newest tutorial for this (as well as setting up a duck dns profile) and I am stuck. I have verified that my IP address is correct but as soon as I get to trying to connect it fails. Any thing I should try to check first?

Logs for why the connection is failing would be my first suggestion.  Otherwise not much to go on.

Link to post

Here is my log from trying to connect using my laptop:

 

Fri Nov 08 16:37:56 2019 OpenVPN 2.4.8 x86_64-w64-mingw32 [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [PKCS11] [AEAD] built on Oct 31 2019
Fri Nov 08 16:37:56 2019 Windows version 6.2 (Windows 8 or greater) 64bit
Fri Nov 08 16:37:56 2019 library versions: OpenSSL 1.1.0l  10 Sep 2019, LZO 2.10
Fri Nov 08 16:37:56 2019 MANAGEMENT: TCP Socket listening on [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:25340
Fri Nov 08 16:37:56 2019 Need hold release from management interface, waiting...
Fri Nov 08 16:37:56 2019 MANAGEMENT: Client connected from [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:25340
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'state on'
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'log all on'
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'echo all on'
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'bytecount 5'
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'hold off'
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'hold release'
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 WARNING: --ns-cert-type is DEPRECATED.  Use --remote-cert-tls instead.
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 Outgoing Control Channel Authentication: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 Incoming Control Channel Authentication: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1573249077,RESOLVE,,,,,,
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]207.98.189.235:1194
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 Socket Buffers: R=[65536->65536] S=[65536->65536]
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 UDP link local: (not bound)
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 UDP link remote: [AF_INET]207.98.189.235:1194
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1573249077,WAIT,,,,,,
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1573249077,AUTH,,,,,,
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 TLS: Initial packet from [AF_INET]207.98.189.235:1194, sid=e9df0c07 3bef4c4d
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 TLS Error: cannot locate HMAC in incoming packet from [AF_INET]207.98.189.235:1194
Fri Nov 08 16:37:58 2019 MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1573249078,AUTH,,,,,,
 

Link to post
8 minutes ago, rvlution said:

Here is my log from trying to connect using my laptop:

 

Fri Nov 08 16:37:56 2019 OpenVPN 2.4.8 x86_64-w64-mingw32 [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [PKCS11] [AEAD] built on Oct 31 2019
Fri Nov 08 16:37:56 2019 Windows version 6.2 (Windows 8 or greater) 64bit
Fri Nov 08 16:37:56 2019 library versions: OpenSSL 1.1.0l  10 Sep 2019, LZO 2.10
Fri Nov 08 16:37:56 2019 MANAGEMENT: TCP Socket listening on [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:25340
Fri Nov 08 16:37:56 2019 Need hold release from management interface, waiting...
Fri Nov 08 16:37:56 2019 MANAGEMENT: Client connected from [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:25340
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'state on'
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'log all on'
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'echo all on'
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'bytecount 5'
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'hold off'
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'hold release'
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 WARNING: --ns-cert-type is DEPRECATED.  Use --remote-cert-tls instead.
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 Outgoing Control Channel Authentication: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 Incoming Control Channel Authentication: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1573249077,RESOLVE,,,,,,
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]207.98.189.235:1194
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 Socket Buffers: R=[65536->65536] S=[65536->65536]
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 UDP link local: (not bound)
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 UDP link remote: [AF_INET]207.98.189.235:1194
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1573249077,WAIT,,,,,,
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1573249077,AUTH,,,,,,
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 TLS: Initial packet from [AF_INET]207.98.189.235:1194, sid=e9df0c07 3bef4c4d
Fri Nov 08 16:37:57 2019 TLS Error: cannot locate HMAC in incoming packet from [AF_INET]207.98.189.235:1194
Fri Nov 08 16:37:58 2019 MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1573249078,AUTH,,,,,,
 

Can;t tell you exactly what the problem is but this is probably relevant.

https://serverfault.com/a/396847

 

I'd recheck your config, I suspect you've missed a setting that is incorrect.

Link to post
4 hours ago, CHBMB said:

No idea.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
 

So I think it may have to do with my port forwarding. I have checked if port 1194 is open and it is not. Not really sure where to go from here since every walkthrough takes about 2 minutes and doesn't give any additional details.

Link to post
6 hours ago, rvlution said:

So I think it may have to do with my port forwarding. I have checked if port 1194 is open and it is not. Not really sure where to go from here since every walkthrough takes about 2 minutes and doesn't give any additional details.

You have to Google your router for how to port forward the correct port.

Link to post

Hi, I'm having an issue where I added a new admin account with the webUI, I deleted the old admin account, but when I save changes and logout, I can log back in using the default admin account. Have I made a mistake are my settings not being applied or is this a software error

Link to post
7 minutes ago, dsg77 said:

Hi, I'm having an issue where I added a new admin account with the webUI, I deleted the old admin account, but when I save changes and logout, I can log back in using the default admin account. Have I made a mistake are my settings not being applied or is this a software error

Did you read the docs linked in the first post of this thread?

Link to post

So I set up the whole container from scratch a couple weeks ago due to the issues I had earlier (see below or my previous posts a page back). Had to relearn how to do it all again since it had been a couple years since I've had to set it up, but with @SpaceInvaderOne's videos and some reading on Github I was able to get it going again. Used it a couple times on my phone and laptop and it was working fine.

 

Now I just did an update today and I'm back to the same thing again.

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
-------------------------------------
GID/UID
-------------------------------------

User uid: 99
User gid: 100
-------------------------------------

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 20-time: executing...
[cont-init.d] 20-time: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-config: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30-config: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-openvpn-init: executing...
find: ‘/config/etc/db’: No such file or directory
/var/run/s6/etc/cont-init.d/40-openvpn-init: line 14: /usr/local/openvpn_as/bin/ovpn-init: No such file or directory
Stopping openvpn-as now; will start again later after configuring
cat: /var/run/openvpnas.pid: No such file or directory
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]
[cont-init.d] 40-openvpn-init: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-interface: executing...
/var/run/s6/etc/cont-init.d/50-interface: line 9: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/confdba: No such file or directory
/var/run/s6/etc/cont-init.d/50-interface: line 10: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/confdba: No such file or directory
/var/run/s6/etc/cont-init.d/50-interface: line 11: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/confdba: No such file or directory
/var/run/s6/etc/cont-init.d/50-interface: line 12: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/confdba: No such file or directory
[cont-init.d] 50-interface: exited 127.
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: executing...
[custom-init] no custom files found exiting...
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
./run: line 3: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/openvpnas: No such file or directory
./run: line 3: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/openvpnas: No such file or directory
./run: line 3: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/openvpnas: No such file or directory
./run: line 3: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/openvpnas: No such file or directory
./run: line 3: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/openvpnas: No such file or directory
./run: line 3: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/openvpnas: No such file or directory

The last line just continually keeps popping up/repeating until I kill it. Tried a restart of the container as well as stop/start.

 

I really don't want to have to re-set this thing up from scratch every couple weeks or when there is an update. Is there any idea what causes this and how to fix it from happening again? I know others previously had the same issue, did you get this again or has it worked since you've resetup from scratch?

 

edit: Been messing with it, including removing and re-adding the container (with existing appdata), but no luck. I need to use it tomorrow to connect remotely, so I ended up re-setting it up from scratch again and it is working... for now.

Edited by deusxanime
Link to post
2 hours ago, deusxanime said:

So I set up the whole container from scratch a couple weeks ago due to the issues I had earlier (see below or my previous posts a page back). Had to relearn how to do it all again since it had been a couple years since I've had to set it up, but with @SpaceInvaderOne's videos and some reading on Github I was able to get it going again. Used it a couple times on my phone and laptop and it was working fine.

 

Now I just did an update today and I'm back to the same thing again.


Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
-------------------------------------
GID/UID
-------------------------------------

User uid: 99
User gid: 100
-------------------------------------

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 20-time: executing...
[cont-init.d] 20-time: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-config: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30-config: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 40-openvpn-init: executing...
find: ‘/config/etc/db’: No such file or directory
/var/run/s6/etc/cont-init.d/40-openvpn-init: line 14: /usr/local/openvpn_as/bin/ovpn-init: No such file or directory
Stopping openvpn-as now; will start again later after configuring
cat: /var/run/openvpnas.pid: No such file or directory
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec ... or kill -l [sigspec]
[cont-init.d] 40-openvpn-init: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-interface: executing...
/var/run/s6/etc/cont-init.d/50-interface: line 9: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/confdba: No such file or directory
/var/run/s6/etc/cont-init.d/50-interface: line 10: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/confdba: No such file or directory
/var/run/s6/etc/cont-init.d/50-interface: line 11: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/confdba: No such file or directory
/var/run/s6/etc/cont-init.d/50-interface: line 12: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/confdba: No such file or directory
[cont-init.d] 50-interface: exited 127.
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: executing...
[custom-init] no custom files found exiting...
[cont-init.d] 99-custom-scripts: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
./run: line 3: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/openvpnas: No such file or directory
./run: line 3: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/openvpnas: No such file or directory
./run: line 3: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/openvpnas: No such file or directory
./run: line 3: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/openvpnas: No such file or directory
./run: line 3: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/openvpnas: No such file or directory
./run: line 3: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/openvpnas: No such file or directory

The last line just continually keeps popping up/repeating until I kill it. Tried a restart of the container as well as stop/start.

 

I really don't want to have to re-set this thing up from scratch every couple weeks or when there is an update. Is there any idea what causes this and how to fix it from happening again? I know others previously had the same issue, did you get this again or has it worked since you've resetup from scratch?

 

edit: Been messing with it, including removing and re-adding the container (with existing appdata), but no luck. I need to use it tomorrow to connect remotely, so I ended up re-setting it up from scratch again and it is working... for now.

Looks like there are issues with your appdata. How is your appdata share set up?

Post the docker run command.

Link to post
24 minutes ago, saarg said:

Looks like there are issues with your appdata. How is your appdata share set up?

Post the docker run command.

Never had an issue with my appdata in the couple years I've been running unRAID. I have about 25 docker containers on there (about half running usually). All others have been stable/no issues currently. Single drive Samsung SSD cache drive with all appdata written to it. Appdata share is set to use cache drive only. For openvpn-as I just left all parameters at their defaults when loading the container.

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='openvpn-as' --net='bridge' -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'PUID'='99' -p '943:943/tcp' -p '9443:9443/tcp' -p '1194:1194/udp' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/openvpn-as':'/config':'rw' --cap-add=NET_ADMIN 'linuxserver/openvpn-as'

 

Link to post
4 hours ago, deusxanime said:

Never had an issue with my appdata in the couple years I've been running unRAID. I have about 25 docker containers on there (about half running usually). All others have been stable/no issues currently. Single drive Samsung SSD cache drive with all appdata written to it. Appdata share is set to use cache drive only. For openvpn-as I just left all parameters at their defaults when loading the container.


root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='openvpn-as' --net='bridge' -e TZ="America/Chicago" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'PUID'='99' -p '943:943/tcp' -p '9443:9443/tcp' -p '1194:1194/udp' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/openvpn-as':'/config':'rw' --cap-add=NET_ADMIN 'linuxserver/openvpn-as'

 

Try setting /config to /mnt/cache instead of /mnt/user

Link to post

Hi! I just installed the OpenVPN-AS Docker and it seems to be not installed completely (?) The log is spammed with:

./run: line 3: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/openvpnas: No such file or directory

and of course I cannot access the Web UI for initial setup. The "bin" folder is also missing...

I tried to reinstall it for severeal times but no luck. Is the repo actual broken or what is going wrong here?

 

EDIT: Fixed it! I just uninstalled the Docker and then also deleted the folder in /mnt/user/appdata which seems not be automatically deleted when selecting "also remove image" in the Docker UI.

Edited by cap089
Fixed
Link to post
On 11/12/2019 at 5:21 AM, saarg said:

Try setting /config to /mnt/cache instead of /mnt/user

 

6 hours ago, cap089 said:

Hi! I just installed the OpenVPN-AS Docker and it seems to be not installed completely (?) The log is spammed with:


./run: line 3: /usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/openvpnas: No such file or directory

and of course I cannot access the Web UI for initial setup. The "bin" folder is also missing...

I tried to reinstall it for severeal times but no luck. Is the repo actual broken or what is going wrong here?

 

EDIT: Fixed it! I just uninstalled the Docker and then also deleted the folder in /mnt/user/appdata which seems not be automatically deleted when selecting "also remove image" in the Docker UI.

 

I don't believe it is an issue with my appdata, unless it is universal to more users than just me. As you can see others are having this problem as well (above and previous pages). If it happens to me again though I can try to change the path of my /config to /mnt/cache/appdata/openvpn-as and see what happens.

 

 

Edited by deusxanime
claify
Link to post
6 hours ago, deusxanime said:

 

 

I don't believe it is an issue with my appdata, unless it is universal to more users than just me. As you can see others are having this problem as well (above and previous pages). If it happens to me again though I can try to change the path of my /config to /mnt/cache/appdata/openvpn-as and see what happens.

 

 

As you can see at the bottom of the post you quoted, his issue was fixed when he deleted his appdata.

 

I don't know what to tell you other than to say it is your appdata that's the problem. The file in question resides in the config folder and the path referenced in the log is merely a symlink that points to the file in your appdata folder.

Link to post
5 hours ago, aptalca said:

As you can see at the bottom of the post you quoted, his issue was fixed when he deleted his appdata.

 

I don't know what to tell you other than to say it is your appdata that's the problem. The file in question resides in the config folder and the path referenced in the log is merely a symlink that points to the file in your appdata folder.

Sorry, when you were saying my appdata was the problem it seemed you were implying there was an issue with the way it is set up in unRAID, the drive was failing/corrupting, or something like that. None of which appears to be true from my observations so far.

 

Obviously from the error the issue seems to be that files are going missing randomly in the appdata folder and I've said that the only way I've been able to get mine working or "fix" it is to do the same thing as that person - delete the docker container and appdata folder completely and rebuild it from scratch. I've had to do this a few times now.

 

Due to the fact that it has happened to multiple separate people with likely disparate systems/builds, it seems like whatever is causing the files to go missing or corrupt is coming from inside the container, or at least not specific to my system. What that is I'm not sure as I'm not a dev and it is just a hypothesis, but I figured I'd report it here, and seeing other reports of the same thing tended to confirm my suspicions. As I said, I'll try your suggestion and report here if it happens again, but at least something is documented in case it rears its head again on mine or someone else's system.

Link to post
1 hour ago, deusxanime said:

Sorry, when you were saying my appdata was the problem it seemed you were implying there was an issue with the way it is set up in unRAID, the drive was failing/corrupting, or something like that. None of which appears to be true from my observations so far.

 

Obviously from the error the issue seems to be that files are going missing randomly in the appdata folder and I've said that the only way I've been able to get mine working or "fix" it is to do the same thing as that person - delete the docker container and appdata folder completely and rebuild it from scratch. I've had to do this a few times now.

 

Due to the fact that it has happened to multiple separate people with likely disparate systems/builds, it seems like whatever is causing the files to go missing or corrupt is coming from inside the container, or at least not specific to my system. What that is I'm not sure as I'm not a dev and it is just a hypothesis, but I figured I'd report it here, and seeing other reports of the same thing tended to confirm my suspicions. As I said, I'll try your suggestion and report here if it happens again, but at least something is documented in case it rears its head again on mine or someone else's system.

It was me that mentioned your appdata and you say that it works if you start fresh. Therefor it's was likely an incorrect set up share could be the issue. The mover might have moved the files from the cache drive to the array. We use the info you post to try to find a reason for you issue.

I mentioned to change the path of the appdata as the first error was with a DB file and there have been issues with using the fuse layer for appdata.

 

It seems you are more interested in saying that our suggestions can't be the issue, than trying to do what we suggest.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.