[Support] Linuxserver.io - OpenVPN AS


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, hundsboog said:

... or you just setup another docker container and use two additional connections ;-)

 

But is it true that it is really depricated? I really cant believe it! I mean this container has a huge community, can somebody clearify this?

Yes, it's deprecated. It's a pain in the ass to maintain as it breaks on every update. The latest release should work.

Link to comment

For those that want a workaround to get it working again after last update broke it:

Pull the version before the last (6 days earlier than it) - 2.8.8-cbf850a0-Ubuntu18-ls122

 

Worked for me in the meantime

Edited by uraid
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, uraid said:

For those that want a workaround to get it working again after last update broke it:

Pull the version before the last (6 days earlier than it) - 2.8.8-cbf850a0-Ubuntu18-ls122

 

Worked for me in the meantime

Forgive me - but how do you do that?

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, lakr said:

Forgive me - but how do you do that?

Click on the openvpn-as docker icon -> edit and add to the repository value ":{Version}" .

Just don't forget that version is the one I wrote above.

Excuse my brevity I'm on mobile

Edited by uraid
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, hundsboog said:

Besides the upcoming security issues (if there are any): Is it by security means accaptable just to stay on that working version the next time till the docker gets a new maintainer?

I intend to ultimately move to wireguard as well, so that's a no for me, but everyone is free to make their choice.

Openvpn is more mature and peer reviewed, but seems to be that wireguard has all the attention nowadays

Link to comment
31 minutes ago, lakr said:

Forgive me - but how do you do that?

Stop and edit the docker.

Change Repository: to this...

linuxserver/openvpn-as:2.8.8-cbf850a0-Ubuntu18-ls122

Click Apply and it will rebuild the image

You should be good to go after that once it finishes loading up o/

  • Like 2
Link to comment
15 hours ago, Danuel said:

i just me or this is not working after latest update ?

You need to go to the admin console to accept the new user agreement (it says so in the changelog). I also had to download my profile again and import it in the program on my pc. That fixed it

Link to comment
On 6/17/2021 at 2:02 AM, ryoko227 said:

Stop and edit the docker.

Change Repository: to this...

linuxserver/openvpn-as:2.8.8-cbf850a0-Ubuntu18-ls122

Click Apply and it will rebuild the image

You should be good to go after that once it finishes loading up o/

Worked for me.  Thank you.

Link to comment
On 6/17/2021 at 10:31 AM, thepim said:

You need to go to the admin console to accept the new user agreement (it says so in the changelog). I also had to download my profile again and import it in the program on my pc. That fixed it

Hi, Would you be able to provide a little more guidance where the new user agreement is found in the OpenVPN Management Console? Thanks.

Link to comment

Very annoying that OpenVPN-as is one of the most important/critical dockers I run and its the one that always randomly breaks and I don't notice it until it's too late when I'm not home and need to remote in. 

Changing the repo to linuxserver/openvpn-as:2.8.8-cbf850a0-Ubuntu18-ls122 according to the comment above fixed it anyway. Hopefully it'll stay fixed since that version number/repo adress shouldn't change.

Link to comment
On 6/17/2021 at 4:31 AM, thepim said:

You need to go to the admin console to accept the new user agreement (it says so in the changelog). I also had to download my profile again and import it in the program on my pc. That fixed it

This worked for me. Thanks for the info.

Link to comment
On 6/28/2021 at 4:41 PM, nadbmal said:

Very annoying that OpenVPN-as is one of the most important/critical dockers I run and its the one that always randomly breaks and I don't notice it until it's too late when I'm not home and need to remote in. 

Changing the repo to linuxserver/openvpn-as:2.8.8-cbf850a0-Ubuntu18-ls122 according to the comment above fixed it anyway. Hopefully it'll stay fixed since that version number/repo adress shouldn't change.

We've depreciated the container now so there will be no further updates/changes/support for the container.

Link to comment

So what is next for people who need openvpn?  I run Wireguard yes, but many places block UDP so I need openvpn as a fallback.    Is it even safe/secure to use if there will be no further updates?

 

Does openVPN-AS still get updates, just not this particular container?

Link to comment
19 hours ago, darkrom said:

So what is next for people who need openvpn?  I run Wireguard yes, but many places block UDP so I need openvpn as a fallback.    Is it even safe/secure to use if there will be no further updates?

 

Does openVPN-AS still get updates, just not this particular container?

OpenVPN-AS still gets updated from openvpn itself. The reason we've dropped it is due to the constant band-aid fixes we have to do and something breaks on every update they push out.

Link to comment
On 7/7/2021 at 4:52 AM, j0nnymoe said:

OpenVPN-AS still gets updated from openvpn itself. The reason we've dropped it is due to the constant band-aid fixes we have to do and something breaks on every update they push out.

 

 

Thank you for all the work done first of all.

I just want to clarify that means there will likely be security fixes that do not end up here eventually?  I need openVPN due to Wireguard being blocked on many networks etc.  So perhaps the best thing to do would be use this for now since it works great, use Wireguard when I can, and setup openvpn configured some other way to get the updates?  I just would hate to run something as critical as a VPN without any future patches.

Link to comment
Posted (edited)

I have created a fork of the linuxserver container, and i will try to maintain this container in the future (at least until the builds break again). Therefore I and others can have security fixes for a bit longer at least.

 

You can find a mirror of my fork here: https://github.com/fabianbees/docker-openvpn-as

Docker images will be pushed here: https://hub.docker.com/r/fabianbees/openvpn-as

 

I have not found time yet to update the Readme.md and change the dockerimage to point to my image instad of the linuxserver one, but this will be done in the future.

As i don't use jenkins in my homelab i just added some build-scrips, so i can build this image with gitlab-ci on my private gitlab instance.

-> UPDATE: I have added a disclaimer at the top of the readme.md and removed all references to the linuxserver team i have found so far, so that it is clear, that these builds are not related to them.

 

For now my image has the latest version of openvpn-as, which is version 2.9.2 at this time. (Linuxserver has 2.9.0)

 

 

If you want to switch to my docker image, you can do so my changing the image-repository in unraid from

linuxserver/openvpn-as

to

fabianbees/openvpn-as

 

 

But please make a backup of your appdata first, before changing to the new image just in case something goes wrong.

Edited by greenflash24
Link to comment
8 hours ago, darkrom said:

 

 

Thank you for all the work done first of all.

I just want to clarify that means there will likely be security fixes that do not end up here eventually?  I need openVPN due to Wireguard being blocked on many networks etc.  So perhaps the best thing to do would be use this for now since it works great, use Wireguard when I can, and setup openvpn configured some other way to get the updates?  I just would hate to run something as critical as a VPN without any future patches.

We will not release any updates at all.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, greenflash24 said:

I have created a fork of the linuxserver container, and i will try to maintain this container in the future (at least until the builds break again). Therefore I and others can have security fixes for a bit longer at least.

 

You can find a mirror of my fork here: https://github.com/fabianbees/docker-openvpn-as

Docker images will be pushed here: https://hub.docker.com/r/fabianbees/openvpn-as

 

I have not found time yet to update the Readme.md and change the dockerimage to point to my image instad of the linuxserver one, but this will be done in the future.

As i don't use jenkins in my homelab i just added some build-scrips, so i can build this image with gitlab-ci on my private gitlab instance.

 

For now my image has the latest version of openvpn-as, which is version 2.9.2 at this time. (Linuxserver has 2.9.0)

 

 

If you want to switch to my docker image, you can do so my changing the image-repository in unraid from


linuxserver/openvpn-as

to


fabianbees/openvpn-as

 

 

But please make a backup of your appdata first, before changing to the new image just in case something goes wrong.

Please remove references to linuxserver.io so it's clear the container is not released by or supported by us.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.