Bug shrinking array by three small/empty drives and rebuilding

bsim

Problems following https://wiki.unraid.net/Shrink_array

---------------------------------------

I have a dual parity array and have recently done a full parity check without error, running the latest unraid pro...

I have a full printout of all drive assignments

I rsynced (with remove) all data off of three old 1tb hard drives (to the array) and confirmed they are empty

I shut down the array,

I changed the included shares list to only include the drives I want to keep in the array (checked all but 3 drives)

Then tools, new config, retain all, yes, apply

On main, I unassigned the three drives to be removed

double checked all other drives are listed correctly

I cannot start the array due to "invalid configuration" to rebuild parity without the drives.

What am I missing? Is this a bug? Is there a work around?

Shouldn't I be able to remove as many drives as I want and just rebuild parity?

Invalid Configuration.png

Edited by bsim

It looks like the "shrink array" page is the problem...It has you unassigning the drives after the "new config". Using a bit of logic I was able to figure out that unassigning the drives then "new config" works beautifully.  The document needs to be fixed.

I did attempt to unassign them twice after "new config", neither took (just invalid configuration both times)...could it be the removal of three drives at once that caused a glitch?

As soon as I did unassign before "new config" it worked flawlessly. Overall doing it before does seem to make much more logical sense for the process.

I did attempt to unassign them twice after "new config", neither took (just invalid configuration both times)...could it be the removal of three drives at once that caused a glitch?

No, it will work as long as you don't start the array, while the drive icons are blue, once it's started you can't remove devices any longer, or until you do another new config.