[SOLVED] Disk fail

Hi there, my system was fine one moment and overnight, Disk 6 (4TB) failed. I tried to Pre-clear it in Unassigned Devices and it failed. There's a red cross on it and it appeared in the Unassigned Devices tab. I then shutdown, re-plug the power and SATA cables, the startup again. Still the same. 

I have attached the logs. 

The hard disk is fairly new. It is most disconcerting. I have attached two sets of diag files one today, and one two days ago. Can I reuse the 4TB disk? 

Appreciate you assistance. Regards. cL

clnasty-diagnostics-20190329-1927.zip

clnasty-diagnostics-20190327-2238.zip

20190329-1943-Preclear.log.txt

Edited by cliewmc
typo

2 SATA cables replaced with new ones, with new replacement disk for Disk 6, precleared, waiting for the previous Disk 6 to be precleared, I will format and install into the slot. Note that cache drive's CRC error count number is still creeping up. I note that it's 185 today. I will record this later in the week. Hope to close the PC case and this item. 

Then there's still a problem, and usually it's the SATA cable, Samsung SSDs are particularly picky about cable quality.
That's interesting as my Samsung 860 Evo SSD also has crc errors even after cable change, you don't happen to know a make of data cable that does play nicely with the Samsung SSD's?

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Sorry no, I don't buy SATA cables, I use surplus cables from boards I assemble at work.

ok cool, thanks for replying, i guess i will just need to buy from a decent manufacturer and hope for the best, i will try and remember to post back here if i do find a cable manufacturer that stops the CRC count incrementing.

• Like 1
  • cliewmc changed the title to (SOLVED) Disk fail
  • 4 months later...
On 4/1/2019 at 9:25 AM, binhex said:

ok cool, thanks for replying, i guess i will just need to buy from a decent manufacturer and hope for the best, i will try and remember to post back here if i do find a cable manufacturer that stops the CRC count incrementing.

On 4/6/2019 at 5:29 PM, cliewmc said:

I'd close this thread with grateful thanks. The SATA cables appear to be the culprit. My friend told me to flash the firmware for the Samsung SSD and the problem would go away. I might try that. 

Did either of you guys find a SATA cable that works?

I had a Samsung 860 Evo that had CRC error slowly increasing. Tried new cables and different ports to no avail. Finally decided to RMA the drive, put the new one in and after only 2 days I've already got 26 CRC errors again.

Note that I also have an AMD setup.

6 hours ago, KR1SeS said:

I had a Samsung 860 Evo that had CRC error slowly increasing. Tried new cables and different ports to no avail. Finally decided to RMA the drive, put the new one in and after only 2 days I've already got 26 CRC errors again.

How are you routing the cable? Make sure the ends are square against the drive and the port, and there is no tension in the cable. If you are fastening the cable somewhere along its length, don't. If there is tension pulling the connector out of alignment, it can cause issues.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have swapped all the drive cables and the CRC errors keep mounting. I have upgraded the firmware on my SSD and will wait to see if this solves the problem. Unfortunately for me, the sata bracket on the mobo got dislodged. I think I may need to change the motherboard altogether. I have a total of 14 disks so now have to look for a new build to house my UNRAID. :( 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 5:41 PM, jonathanm said:

How are you routing the cable? Make sure the ends are square against the drive and the port, and there is no tension in the cable. If you are fastening the cable somewhere along its length, don't. If there is tension pulling the connector out of alignment, it can cause issues.

I tried all of those options and I even used a cable that was working for the same model SSD in my gaming rig, and in my UNRAID rig I get the errors. Finally replaced the cache drive Samsung SSD with a Western Digital and for 30 days so far I haven't had one error.

• Like 1

Looks like I need to do the same, the SSD crc counts keep climbing, now 961. It may have crashed my system numerous times or killed my new 8TB hard drives. Generally making the unRAID very unstable. I’ll swap this on Saturday & see if it will work too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 7:49 AM, cliewmc said:

Looks like I need to do the same, the SSD crc counts keep climbing, now 961. It may have crashed my system numerous times or killed my new 8TB hard drives. Generally making the unRAID very unstable. I’ll swap this on Saturday & see if it will work too.

How'd it work out for you? I'm a couple months of uptime since the SSD change and no errors and all my UnRAID stability issues are gone.

• Like 1

As things goes, I forgot to change to a new SSD on the day, and the CRC Counts continued to mount. It’s now 1061 and consistently increasing. I flashed the firmware, not sure I mentioned that. No use. It may have corrupted my Plex docker. I’ve moved my Plex to another PC. I have since experienced a SATA port to board fault so I suspect these soldered ports may be an issue as well. So I wasn’t sure if it was caused by one or the other. Reboots still happen but infrequently. I‘m waiting to upgrade from 8 port SATA expansion card to 16 port SATA expansion card so I might use one of the new ports. A day’s work is never done (sigh). Thanks for asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 1 month later...