Remove a Disk that is is working

Hi- I always feel like I am asking noob questions but here it goes:

I have a Disk 5 that is 2 TB.  I have an Empty 'ish" Disk 6 that is 4 TB.

I wish to Copy the contents of Disk 2 to Disk 6 and then Remove Disk 2 as I am upgrading my Drives.

Do I simply Run this CMD: rsync -avPX /mnt/dis5 /mnt/disk6/

Then Run a Parity ?

Or do I just remove the disk and rebuild the parity?

- I have a 10TB Parity drive and I am wanting to replace my 2 TB drives. 

39 minutes ago, fschris said:

I wish to Copy the contents of Disk 2 to Disk 6 and then Remove Disk 2 as I am upgrading my Drives.

Do I simply Run this CMD: rsync -avPX /mnt/dis5 /mnt/disk6/

Disk 2 or disk 5? 

The command will move that from disk 5 to disk 6.

In case you are not planning to replace disk 5, you now have an array with one less disk. So you have to create a new config and rebuild parity.

https://wiki.unraid.net/index.php/FAQ_remove_drive

Edited by pbcal
  • Upvote 1

I think i can explain it this way.... how do I copy the data of one drive to another drive. 

Do I simply Run this CMD: rsync -avPX /mnt/disk5 /mnt/disk6/

The wiki above said to copy it the /mnt/share  however I want to move the files to a specific drive.

Disk 5 is my 5 TB drive

well this is not working they way i thought... I did the rsync like above But now in the Disk 6  I have a folder called disk5 where all the data is copying to.  I thought it would just copy the folders on the disk like /music /pictures not  /disk5 and then everything inside that folder

/Disk5 is not a directory is it?

Edited by fschris

Okay I have a follow up question - After I moved all the data from one drive to another. Do I need to re run parity ?  I plan to just take out the drive I emptied and install a new 10TB drive. I will need to preclear this new disk and then add to the array where I have removed my puny 2TB drive.  ( I have a 10TB Parity Drive).

Sorry I didn't see this thread before you went to all this unnecessary trouble. The usual way to replace a disk with a larger disk is simply to assign the new disk to the slot of the old disk and let its contents be rebuilt from the parity calculation. There was no need to move files around.

And that is what I would recommend you do now, even though you have emptied the disk. That would be simpler and at least as fast as the alternative, which would be to set a New Config and rebuild parity.

trurl - this is partly my fault.  my original post i was just going to move the files and shring the array.  I decieded to replace the drive witha nice 10TB drive after I moved the files from it.   So I removed the 2tB  drive from the sever and I am running preclear on the 10TB. I guess when I am done with pre clear I will add the 10tb back into array and run a parity. 

1 hour ago, fschris said:

trurl - this is partly my fault.  my original post i was just going to move the files and shring the array.  I decieded to replace the drive witha nice 10TB drive after I moved the files from it.   So I removed the 2tB  drive from the sever and I am running preclear on the 10TB. I guess when I am done with pre clear I will add the 10tb back into array and run a parity. 

You can't remove a disk without doing a New Config and rebuilding parity (except by using an advanced procedure that clears the array disk to be removed while it is still in the array). So the New Config and parity rebuild would have to be done before adding the 10TB.

On the other hand, and what I suggest. You can just replace the 2TB with the 10TB and rebuild that (empty) disk, and parity will remain valid. The 10TB doesn't even have to be clear, though it is OK to use preclear to test it if you want.