I/O Device Error Windows to unRAID - Help Please :)

Hi There,

I cannot drag and drop files from my windows machine to unRAID anymore.

I suspect it might be the replacement drive Disk 2 - which I replaced with with a 3 --> 8TB recently. (As I can still copy to other Disks)

I had something similar a couple of years and it required moving content off the disk with a corrupt RFS filesystem and reformatting from RFS --> XFS AND then moving content back. (Note: Most disks are very full - so would appreciate advice on how to do this as well please (incl option of moving content temporarily to my windows machine) - assuming that is the problem/solution)

Would really appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Ed

PS: Log attached.

tower-diagnostics-20190331-0927.zip

Thanks for the reply - have now - report:

reiserfsck 3.6.27 Will read-only check consistency of the filesystem on /dev/md2

Will put log info to 'stdout'

###########

reiserfsck --check started at Sun Mar 31 19:21:40 2019

###########

Replaying journal:

Replaying journal: Done.

Reiserfs journal '/dev/md2' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions replayed

Checking internal tree..

finished

Comparing bitmaps..

Checking Semantic tree: finished 4 found corruptions can be fixed when running with --fix-fixable

###########

reiserfsck finished at Sun Mar 31 19:33:52 2019

###########

vpf-10640: The on-disk and the correct bitmaps differs.

vpf-10670: The file [23604 23605] has the wrong size in the StatData (0), should be (4096)

vpf-10680: The file [23604 23605] has the wrong block count in the StatData (8), should be (0)

Look forward to further advice :)

Thanks 

Bugger.....no data loss as far as i can tell but still can't drag and drop?

Any other ideas?

I do note that a couple of other disks have errors reported....

Will run Smart Tests on these and report back.

But if anyone has any ideas based on the log that would be appreciated as well.

Sorry - just reread post above - so i ran it with --fix-fixable - and as advised the corruptions are gone.

Should I have also run it with the no-modify (the  -n option) removed will fix the problem.

and what would the input look like?

Sorry if my questions are a bit noob - have had my unRAID for several years now - but as a testament to its robustness have rarely had issues to resolve...so my knowledge is somewhat limited

12 minutes ago, driller1969 said:

Bugger.....no data loss as far as i can tell but still can't drag and drop?

Any other ideas?

I do note that a couple of other disks have errors reported....

Will run Smart Tests on these and report back.

But if anyone has any ideas based on the log that would be appreciated as well.

The -n option just causes it to be run as a check that will not actual change (or fix) anything.    Until you remove the -n option then nothing will actually be fixed.    If you want you can try running it again with the -n option and this time it should report there are no problems.

So...an update:

Did filesystem checks on all 11 drives - which found errors on several drives. Some of which unRAID sorted itself and 4 or so drives required  -fix fixable to be ran.

And woo hoo!! - I was able to copy to my unRAID server again. Well I did one file.

And now its giving me I/O error again.

Oh dear.....would appreciate further suggestions  :)

tower-diagnostics-20190401-2334.zip

Hi There,

Thanks for response - yeah i did wonder as that's was the issue a year or more ago - this is a challenge though as I have no empty slots and most of my disks are pretty full.

So would it be possible to:

1. Turn parity off by un-assigning parity disk (!! See Below).
  2. Move content off MD2 to my windows machine.
  3. Covert MD2 to XFS .
  4. Move content back.
  5. Turn parity disk back on?
  6. And the I can start moving content around other disks on the array to free a slot up - and install a new larger drive formatted as XFS - so I can then progressively move data/reformat disks as XFS.

I appreciate the array would be un-protected while I did steps 1 - 5, but I am not sure I have much choice : /

Would my approach result in Parity getting messed up?

Or is there another/better way of doing this?

TIA.

Ed

Edited by driller1969
31 minutes ago, driller1969 said:

So would it be possible to:

1. Turn parity off by un-assigning parity disk (!! See Below).
  2. Move content off MD2 to my windows machine.
  3. Covert MD2 to XFS .
  4. Move content back.
  5. Turn parity disk back on?
  6. And the I can start moving content around other disks on the array to free a slot up - and install a new larger drive formatted as XFS - so I can then progressively move data/reformat disks as XFS.

I appreciate the array would be un-protected while I did steps 1 - 5, but I am not sure I have much choice : /

I don't see any reason to "turn parity off". If you copy any disk to somewhere else then you can format that disk as XFS and copy the data back.

However, at no point should you allow yourself to get to a point where you only have one copy of anything important and irreplaceable. That is true whether or not you have parity. In fact, if you don't currently have another copy of anything important and irreplaceable, take care of that immediately before attempting to do anything else.