[SOLVED] VM Can't Access Network

Hello,' Apologies in advance for n00b questions.

I installed a VM with Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS. I have properly (I think) edited the network /yaml file. But I am unable to ping this VM, neither can I ping from the VM to anything else. Can't SSH into it, though the VNC seems to be working fine. Netplan settings are applied.

Any help getting this VM on my network properly would be greatly appreciated.

An ifconfig reveals what appears to be appropriate settings:

image.thumb.png.0a32fdbf664195f98b2ec0ddf96d547f.png

My Unraid server is at 10.0.1.201.  My router is at 10.0.1.1.  There are no conflicting IPs on this network.

Net config file looks like so:

image.thumb.png.771061c93e007866f6f20c89abe93341.png

Hello,' Apologies in advance for n00b questions.

I installed a VM with Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS. I have properly (I think) edited the network /yaml file. But I am unable to ping this VM, neither can I ping from the VM to anything else. Can't SSH into it, though the VNC seems to be working fine. Netplan settings are applied.

Any help getting this VM on my network properly would be greatly appreciated.

An ifconfig reveals what appears to be appropriate settings:

image.thumb.png.0a32fdbf664195f98b2ec0ddf96d547f.png

My Unraid server is at 10.0.1.201.  My router is at 10.0.1.1.  There are no conflicting IPs on this network.

Net config file looks like so:
image.thumb.png.771061c93e007866f6f20c89abe93341.png

VNC works fine because the vnc is on the unraid, not the vnc. I am not sure, but do you have to install the driver for the network interface on Ubuntu?or you could try to change the model in the xml to e1000-82545em
Edit the cam then click the top right corner switch, then find the following code, change the model

I am not sure if it will work or not, since my VM is windows.

1 minute ago, erikm101 said:

@itimpi I'm not sure I understand the question. I don't recall any settings specifically related to network when I set it up.

You must have specified the type of network adapter (e.g virbr0).  That will determine both what drivers are needed inside the VM and also whether is a NAT connection or not.   If you are not sure you can look at the current network settings for the VM at the Unraid level.   Alternatively provide the XML for the VM and we can see it from there.

3 minutes ago, erikm101 said:

Ah, I see. It is setup as virbr0. I left that at default, which is why I didn't remember the setting ;)

OK - that adapter is a NAT type connection allowing only outbound connections which will explain why you cannot ping or ssh to the VM.   It also means that the virtio network drivers are required inside the VM - not sure if Ubuntu server includes them as standard although I would have though it did.   If you want the VM to appear as if it were directly connected to the LAN then you need a bridged network (e.g. something like br0 rather than virbr0), but you first need to make sure that has been set up in the Unraid network settings.

I also have no experience of editing networking files inside an Ubuntu VM.   In my experience the network 'just worked' without me having to do anything.   Someone else may be in a better position to help here.

15 minutes ago, erikm101 said:

Thanks. virbro is the only option I have available in the setup page. Maybe I'm misunderstanding where the network change would need to be applied?

Untitled.png

You need to go (at the Unraid level) to Settings->Network Settings and Enable Bridging.   The default name for the first bridge is br0 (although you can over-ride that if you want to.)

Once you have done that if you scroll to the bottom of the page you will see the routing that has been set up for both virbr0 and br0.

When you go back to the VM settings you should now be offered the choice of virbr0 and br0.

Edited by itimpi
  • erikm101 changed the title to [SOLVED] VM Can't Access Network
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Ive tried these steps to get my VM's working and nothing is working correctly. What I'm seeing is any VM windows or Ubuntu can access the main domain of a site just fine, but when I try to access the subdomain they fail. I have no problem access a subdomain directly from Unraid using the wget command or the alternate boot to gui method. Ayn ideas on what I can try next.

Unraid 6.9-rc2

VM bonded

VM drivers virt and virt-io tested

I did some testing and found that the windows VM will not pass traffic on the eth0 which is br0 on Unraid. So I plugged a wireless adapter in and did a test. All traffic will pass over the wireless adapter with not problem as long as I have eth0 disabled. I tried removing and re-installing the virtio driver for networking and this had no affect on the system. So this leads me to believe that Unraid br0 is the source of the problem.