WD 3.3v mod on SATA connector for shucked drives

Hi guys,

I bought a SATA power extender by Canle Matters. It extends one end into 4 connectors. 

My shucked WD Drive doesn’t show up on the new server I just build. 

I read a while ago that by using this extender I could just pull one of the wires out on the extender itself, and that will allow all the 4 drives connected to it down the line to work...

can someone show show me which wire do I actually cut? I’ve seen YouTube videos on this and it’s mostly taping the pins on the drive. 

Im looking to just remove a wire on this SATA-SATA (not molex) extender just don’t know which one I need to cut :)

Edited by maxse
7 hours ago, maxse said:

Lol, cmonnn. The wires are all black with 5 wires connecting to the plug. Which is the 3.3v one? Is it the one closes to the part that makes the “L” in the sata connector?

I think this is one of those questions that you won't get a confirmed answer on if for anything else no one would want to blindly tell you to do something that turns out to be wrong, if you search youtube you will find many videos on the subject that should get you going

On 4/2/2019 at 6:33 AM, johnnie.black said:

Instead of starting a thread OP just needed to google "sata power pinout", spoiler alert, 3.3v cable is the one close to the L.

Thanks. That’s what I figured  but I wanted to run it by you guys if that was an OK thing to do. Almost done with the build. Thanks so much everyone!