Nvidia Rtx 2060

nanoblock

Hi guys

i just recently finished getting my Unraid server setup. I’m using it for storage share, time machine backup, Emby media server and some mid level gaming. I have an ASRock z390m motherboard, intel i7 8700k, 16gb of ram and 3 x 10tb wd drives. I just got quicksync working passing to my emby server and now want to add a graphics card to dedicate to a windows 10 vm I recently setup. I was thinking of the 2060 rtx but wanted to see if there are any recommendations as to why or why not going with this card. 

I also have an lg5k apple display and am wondering for the gaming vm what is the best way to access it? Can I plug my monitor right into the usb c on the graphics card and get the vm natively? 

12 hours ago, nanoblock said:

Hi guys

i just recently finished getting my Unraid server setup. I’m using it for storage share, time machine backup, Emby media server and some mid level gaming. I have an ASRock z390m motherboard, intel i7 8700k, 16gb of ram and 3 x 10tb wd drives. I just got quicksync working passing to my emby server and now want to add a graphics card to dedicate to a windows 10 vm I recently setup. I was thinking of the 2060 rtx but wanted to see if there are any recommendations as to why or why not going with this card. 

I also have an lg5k apple display and am wondering for the gaming vm what is the best way to access it? Can I plug my monitor right into the usb c on the graphics card and get the vm natively? 

I don't know if the RTX cards already are working but if they are you won't have a problem using the card natively in your Windows VM. It works like a charm on my VM. Just watch this and you will be good to go!

The USB c on the card is virtual link. It's meant as a all in one solution for vr headsets. Video, sound and USB functions all from one port but it can be used as a USB port or for video. Google the virtual link for all the info. 

BTW there's not many 2060 cards with the USB c port so make sure to check.

Thanks for the info. So what do you guys do in order to access a windows vm to use for gaming purposes? I cant think of any other way. I can Remote Desktop to the vm but then I can’t chanhe the resolution and it’s not native so I am sure I’m not going to get the same result as plugging the usb c from my graphics card right into my monitor. It sucks that my monitor is limited to usb c but I can’t change that. 

Does anyone with passing graphics cards to a windows vm for gaming have a good suggestion for a card based on my setup?

asrock z390m mini itx

intel i7 8700k

16gb crucial ram

3 x 10tb hardrives

2 x samsung evo 860 500tb ssd for cache

Monitor apple/lg 5k usb c/thinderbolt ultrafine display

Edited by nanoblock

5k isn't even on my radar, 4k is barely on my radar, im just looking for nice smooth gameplay on the monitor i have, it doesnt have to be cutting edge. 

So if i get a 2070 with usb c i should be able to plug into my monitor and output the vm to it, sorry if this is redundant but i dont fully understand how it works and dont want to get the gear if it doesnt do what i think it will.