Cache Disk Access LED Solid Freezing Server

Many Thanks @johnnie.black

I will try 2 MX500's (I already have 1) so will order another.  although my mainboard has 3 nvme slots so that may be another way to go, I have 1 or 2 Samsung evo's lying around and 1 on my main rig.

If 4 fast SSD's won't give more than 500 how to you get 700? is it because of the quantity? what raid version are you using?

Thanks

Edited by mbc0

I am looking at 2 Intel 660p Series M.2 Drives

My theory is that I could use 2 of these in RAID 1 Mirror, I should get around 700/900mb/s using this config?

General

Device TypeSolid state drive - internal

Capacity1 TB

Hardware EncryptionYes

Encryption Algorithm256-bit AES

NAND Flash Memory Type3D quad-level cell (QLC)

Form FactorM.2 2280

InterfacePCI Express 3.0 x4 (NVMe)

FeaturesSmart Response Technology, End-to-end data protection, Rapid Start Technology

Width22 mm

Depth80 mm

Weight10 g

Performance

SSD Endurance200 TB

Internal Data Rate1800 MBps (read) / 1800 MBps (write)

4KB Random Read150000 IOPS

4KB Random Write220000 IOPS

Ok,

so I need to find a NVME drive that does not use QLC like the Kingston which uses a 3D NAND Technology, NVM Express (NVMe), Phison E8 controller

Can you confirm that if I use two in mirror mode I can expect roughly half of the performance?

Looking at 2 X 1TB capable of 1800mb/s would it be unreasonable to expect 700-800mb/s in Raid 1 Mirror mode?

Thanks

27 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

the Kingston which uses a 3D NAND Technology, NVM Express (NVMe), Phison E8 controller

I'm guessing you mean the A1000, no personal experience with these, but quick search shows they might not be that fast:

imagem.png.c7f3dbde6b924d6537da6a7e3c63cc0b.png

Also look at the 660p performance when full (with no or little SLC cache left):

imagem.png.2314a8bb5d8a1150f2792c6c872c3b8b.png

IMO if you want performance you should go with the Samsung EVO, they are a little more expensive, but you seldom can get cheap and fast, I have two 1TB 970 EVOs on my desktop and am very happy with then, now would be the 970 EVO Plus.

Ok, that is great information, many thanks!

I have a 960 Evo in my Desktop as the OS disk and like you cannot complain

Can you confirm that if I use two in mirror mode I can expect roughly half of the performance?

Looking at 2 X 1TB capable of 1800mb/s would it be unreasonable to expect 700-800mb/s in Raid 1 Mirror mode?

11 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

In mirror you should get about the same performance as a single device, though in my experience you'll never get quoted (or even benchmarked) performance in real world use.

12 minutes ago, mbc0 said:

700/800MB/s is about what I would expect with a fast device, like the 970 EVO, with single device or mirror.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

On 4/2/2019 at 7:56 AM, johnnie.black said:
On 4/2/2019 at 7:47 AM, mbc0 said:

Is there a "Safer" way to run a SSD pool? 

Make sure all shares are set to COW.

Any problem converting the system share containing the docker and libvirt images to COW?