Upgrade from 6.3.5 to 6.5.3 breaks

I have tried a couple times to upgrade to 6.5.3.  I get the download from the Unraid plugins page, it downloads and installs and tells me to reboot.  After the reboot the boot process stops at the second step in the OS load and then reboots again.  Any tips or guides on this upgrade process to make it work? 

Thanks in advance.

Mike 

13 minutes ago, madams2246 said:

I have tried a couple times to upgrade to 6.5.3.  I get the download from the Unraid plugins page, it downloads and installs and tells me to reboot.  After the reboot the boot process stops at the second step in the OS load and then reboots again.  Any tips or guides on this upgrade process to make it work? 

Thanks in advance.

Mike 

Is it stopping at 'loading bzroot...'?

You should try modifying flash drive and BIOS for UEFI boot instead of legacy boot. 

Rename the EFI- folder on the flash drive to EFI (remove the '-' character at the end) and in your BIOS make sure you are booting from UEFI:{name of flash drive} and not BIOS:{name of flash drive} or just {flash drive}.

6 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Is it stopping at 'loading bzroot...'?

You should try modifying flash drive and BIOS for UEFI boot instead of legacy boot. 

Rename the EFI- folder on the flash drive to EFI (remove the '-' character at the end) and in your BIOS make sure you are booting from UEFI:{name of flash drive} and not BIOS:{name of flash drive} or just {flash drive}.

Yes, it is stopping and rebooting after the "loading bzroot"

I do have the EFI- folder so I will rename that getting rid of "-"

The motherboard is older, do all bios have a UEFI mode?  What if I don't have that?

2 minutes ago, madams2246 said:

The motherboard is older, do all bios have a UEFI mode?  What if I don't have that?

Depends on how old "older' is.  UEFI has been around for a while even though it has become the standard on newer motherboards in just the last couple of years.

My MB booted in legacy mode just fine, up to version 6.5.x of unRAID.  At that point, due to some kernel changes in Linux, I could only get it to boot in UEFI mode.

Also, as itimpi mentioned, see if unRAID boots in GUI mode.  Also see the instructions trurl linked. 

24 minutes ago, madams2246 said:

I looked up my motherboard in this build.  It is a ASUS P5Q Deluxe.  Would that not be supported past Unraid 6.3.5?

I used to have one of those boards.  I never tried to run unRAID on it however.

I came across some posts in tech forums as far back as 2009 referring to an EFI BIOS for the P5Q Deluxe.  Just update your BIOS to the latest available for that board and see if it will boot UEFI.  There are often settings in the BIOS in obscure places that have to do with UEFI as well, for example Compatibility Support Mode (CSM). 

Your problem may not be related to UEFI vs. legacy.  There are other possible causes for failure to boot properly. Latest versions of unRAID continue to run even on older hardware in legacy mode, but, you can never tell which combinations of hardware/software will or will not work in certain configurations until you try it.

Trying to boot in UEFI won't cause any harm, it just won't boot if it can't which is no worse than where you are now.

A couple of other users were recently able to solve their boot problems after an upgrade by making a backup of the config folder on the flash drive and then recreating the flash drive with the USB Creator Tool.  After that, they copied over the config folder backup to the new flash drive and then the system booted without issue.  Something had gone wrong on the flash drive in the upgrade process which prevented a successful boot.

1 hour ago, madams2246 said:

I looked up my motherboard in this build.  It is a ASUS P5Q Deluxe.  Would that not be supported past Unraid 6.3.5?

Mike 

I do not think there is any deliberate policy/plan to not support older boards.    However one thing to remember is that newer Unraid releases will use newer Linux kernels to help keep up-to-date with newer hardware and to resolve security related issues.  Sometimes changes made at that level have unforeseen consequences that affect existing systems.    Quite often an even newer kernel will have resolved many such issues so a board that stops working on one release may well just start working again on a newer one.