System freezes during parity check

I am running an Unraid server that had been functioning without errors for years.  A couple months ago I upgraded to 6.6.7 from 5.0.6.  Everything was fine and parity checked out with no errors.  A couple of days later I upgraded a disk drive and the system froze while running a parity check.  Console inaccessible and unable to reboot or shutdown from the head.  It tries to force shutdown after a while, but can't.  The parity check history shows parity check as complete each time this happens.

I'm assuming there must be an issue with the new drive or cable.  I'm running a smart test now to see if anything shows up there.  

If I decide to replace that new drive with another one, what would the process be?  I'm concert that If is put a new drive in and it tries to rebuild the array, it might freeze in the process and I would lose my data, end up without parity.

Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by quincyg
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought I had figured out this problem.  I ran a parity check in troubleshoot mode and it worked with no errors.  I then uninstalled all plugins..(appstore and fix common problems.)

For the last 3 weekly parity checks everything was fine.  Last night during parity check the system locked up again.  No web access and when I try to download the the syslog at the console it gives me a response of " command terminated"  I tried reboot command and it starts the process and then freezes.  So I have no syslog info and am not sure where to start.  This system has been rock solid for years, but seemed to start having issues after upgrading to 6.6.7 and larger disk drive.