Upgrading Hard Drives + filesystem

I am a really not doing this right!

Okay - tell me how to fix this.  I had a 2TB drive.... I copied all the data to another drive.  I then removed that 2TB installed a 10TB hard drive, did a preclear and fired it back up.  Now it seems like it is doing a parity rebuild and putting the data back on the new 10TB hd and it is formatted as 'resirfs' which is why I moved all the data off the 2 TB drive. I am trying to fix that ( format and change FS).  So am I know going to have duplicate data ? I already copied the data from the 2TB to another Hardrive. It seems like now the data is being rebuilt on the 10TB as well. So now I will have a copy of data on both drives.

fschris

If you moved the data off of that 2TB drive only the file system was updated to 'show' that the data had been 'deleted' from that drive.  (However, if you know anything about how file systems work, the 'data' is still there but all of those drive sectors are available for storage of new data the next time data is written to the drive.)  When you rebuilt that virtual drive onto a new hard drive, the recovered drive's file system will still indicate that those files are gone (meaning that the sectors are available for the next write operation) but the (deleted) data' will be rebuilt onto those sectors.  It may sound confusing but that is how Unraid works! 

To change the file system on an disk has to be done by a much more complex method.  You can read about here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/54769-format-xfs-on-replacement-drive-convert-from-rfs-to-xfs/