Ubuntu VM video playback problem

Okay, first a warning that I am completely a noob when it comes to UnRaid and ubuntu So if something is simple and easy I apologize. (Also for responses please keep in mind I've never used linux before so be gentle). Okay now down to the problem. I have unraid running on my server with a VM of ubuntu. The goal of this machine is to be NAS (with unraid) and Plex server (through ubuntu getting the media from the unraid shares). I installed ubuntu and got it running. However, if I try to play a movie in the video player it will not play anything resembling smoothly.  The audio stutters like 3ish times per second consistantly while the video plays at a snail pace. (example: if the video says "the dog" it will play like t-t-t-t-t-h-h-h-h-h-e-e-e-e-e       d-d-d-d-d-o-o-o-o-o-g-g-g-g-g). I installed Plex and the same thing happened playing movies in there. I also installed VLC and playing movies though  VLC helped improve the quality quite a bit to almost watchable but still stuttered. Im running on ubuntu 18.04. Any advice for what I can do would be greatly appreciated. If you need any other information regarding this let me know and I'll be happy to give that info. 

Again, the goal of it is to be a Plex server so I really need to fix it in ubuntu and not rely on the VLC player.