Norco 4224 fan replacement

Hi I was looking for some input on replacing my Norco 4224 case stock noisy 80 mm fans with some 120 mm fans and also replacing the back fans with something quieter. I have a new fan wall coming from Norco but not to sure on what will work to replace the stock fans and quiet the system down. I have 10 drives running as of now.

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

Lou

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 7:32 AM, Lou said:

Hi I was looking for some input on replacing my Norco 4224 case stock noisy 80 mm fans with some 120 mm fans and also replacing the back fans with something quieter. I have a new fan wall coming from Norco but not to sure on what will work to replace the stock fans and quiet the system down. I have 10 drives running as of now.

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

Lou

Best fans ever made in my opinion or Noctua. They also make the best processor heatsinks. Build quality and warranty are great.

I changed all my 4224 fans with Noctua models. No need to get the industrial models, even though they still are less loud then the stock ones. How many drives do you have in there and what hardware are you using?

unraidbuild1.jpg

unraidbuild2.jpg

unraidbuild3.jpg

unraidbuild4.jpg

unraidbuild5.jpg

unraidbuild6.jpg

unraidbuild7.jpg

unraidbuild8.jpg

Thank you for the reply, what part number and model are your 120mm fans? I have 12 drives with everything counted in and getting ready to install a super micro x11sae-o board with intel I7 7700k cpu. Also have the same case Norco 4224

Edited by Lou
On 4/17/2019 at 7:26 AM, Lou said:

Thank you for the reply, what part number and model are your 120mm fans? I have 12 drives with everything counted in and getting ready to install a super micro x11sae-o board with intel I7 7700k cpu. Also have the same case Norco 4224

I am using NF-S12A PWM for my three 120mm fans. I could still make the next jump up to the next one since the server is more isolated now and can use more faster louder fans, but I have good air flow where it is now and have had no issues.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi thanks for the past info the fans worked great. Could you tell what model cpu cooler you are using in the pic I have a Noctua cooler but doesn’t seem to keep up with plex or heavy use.

thanks in advance

lou

• 3 months later...

I know this post is pretty old but I was curious what peoples opinions were on using just 4 80mm Noctua fans instead of a new backplane and 3 120mm.  How much diference do you think would be noticed in a room that usually has a small tower fan running and ceiling fan.  

• 4 years later...
On 4/16/2019 at 10:59 PM, opentoe said:

Best fans ever made in my opinion or Noctua. They also make the best processor heatsinks. Build quality and warranty are great.

I changed all my 4224 fans with Noctua models. No need to get the industrial models, even though they still are less loud then the stock ones. How many drives do you have in there and what hardware are you using?

unraidbuild1.jpg

unraidbuild2.jpg

unraidbuild3.jpg

unraidbuild4.jpg

unraidbuild5.jpg

unraidbuild6.jpg

unraidbuild7.jpg

unraidbuild8.jpg

Did your case come with the fan bracket for the 120mm fans or did you have to get it and where did you get it? The case version I'm looking out may come with the fan bracket for the 4 - 80mm fans.