Moving and renaming files within a share on same disk

TheFreemancer

Ok, I'm facing this problem now. 

I have 2 shares. Extras and movies. 

Both on the same disk. 

If I go from Windows 10 and smb and move from one to another or use filebot to rename my files. It will start writting the files all over again. 

My solution was using Krusader and moving the files in /mnt/disk2/extras to /mnt/disks2/movies. 

Only after putting the files inside the same share I was able to rename and move without copying the files. 

Now I have organized all the files inside this share and I have another folder inside this movies folder that I want to make a single share out of it. 

I don't want to rewrite everything. 

I just want to take a folder from inside the movies share, let's say /mnt/disks2/movies/XXXX

and make XXXX a separated share like /media/user/XXXXX and still having /media/user/movies. 

How can I do that? I feat that moving it using krusader can corrupt some data, or make it unavailble somehow. 

All top level folders on any array (or cache) drive are automatically treated as a User Share.

In the case you mention you should be able to achieve what you want by using Krusader to move /mnt/disk2/movies/XXXX to /mnt/disk2/XXXX.    This will then appear as the User Share ‘XXXX’.  

You need to make sure you avoid moving from /mnt/diskX/sharename to /mnt/user/sharename (or vice versa) as this can lead to data loss.

Archived