DEVICE IS DISABLED, CONTENT EMULATED

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disk4 was just removed from array for the same reason (device disabled..) and I was supposed to replace it today. Disk6 was not in the SMART because when I took the diagnostic was under a reading check (I attach the last diag after check done OK).

What I cannot understand is that in the last few weeks I had 4 disk failures in the same ways... One after the other I had disks failing with no apparent correlation... I checked the connections and they are ok and the PSU is working fine so now I start thinking that must be something else.... Any idea? I am really worried I will loose all the disks one after the other in days now!

monstruo-diagnostics-20190422-0516.zip

Ok... Now I have another issue! I decided to rebuilt disk 6 again and change it with a new one (a brand new WD red 8tb). I stopped the array and I tried to restart it again with lots of issues (the system was stucked). Finally I was able to start it again and now I have 2 disks saying: Unmountable: No file system.

One is the faulty one and a second one that never gave problems before...

What is happening?

monstruo-diagnostics-20190422-1251.zip

Little update... Just changed the disk slots and disk13 is back to work with no issues... and disk6 is rebuilding once again.

There is no correlations between slots, cables or anything else so I am prone to think is the PSU. I will try to change it in a couple of days and we will see.

Tomorrow I am gone for a couple of days so I do not know if I will be able to monitor if the rebuilt will be good (now is saying 18 hrs to go).

This thing is driving me crazy!!!!

All of a sudden another disk gone (it says UNMOUNTABLE: NO FILE SYSTEM) and on top the parity-Sync/Data-Rebuild in progress says that there are 300 days to go!!! What the hell this is all about?

It seems is a cascade effect and the disks are failing one after the other and on top the replacement of the failing disk is just moving the problem to the next one... (is the third one that I miss in a week)

Here is the last diagnostics.

The situation is like this... I tried to change the faulty disk with a new one, I preclear it and than I proceeded with the replacement. Something went wrong because the rebuilt reaching 49% was calculated around 300 days. For this reason I started all again from scratch going through the preclear procedure (apparently something happened during the first preclear) and a writing check. Than I started the rebuilt again and is when the following disk failed and anywat same result... 49.7% and 500 days to go!!!

I understand that this is related to a mistake I did but now I need a solution (if there is one) for both problems:

1) Try to recover the faulty disk (if not possible no big deal since I am not going to loose sensitive/important files)

2) Try to find a final solution to this situation of cascade effect

PS I tried to be as clear as possible hoping this will help you in anyway to pull me out from this nightmare

monstruo-diagnostics-20190429-2003.zip

50 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Disk7 has a corrupt filesystem and is flooding the log, fix filesystem first the try rebuilding disk6 again, grab new diags if/when it fails.

Just to be sure... (really do not want to f..k up again).

1) stop the array, then re-start it in mainteneance mode

2) Open GUI, click on the drive in the Main tab to get to the relevant dialog and start the repair.

It's that correct?

BTW. I will be out for work the entire month of May so not sure what can I do... I have a PC home connected to the server with Teamviewer installed so I might be able to access remotely. If a physical access is not necessary I might be able to work on it otherwise all is postponed to next month.

Will keep you posted and once again thank you for your help and suggestions. Really imprudent to be more 4 since I am quite lost...

11 minutes ago, gideva said:

Done... keeping finger crossed

This is what I got:

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
Phase 2 - using internal log
        - zero log...
ERROR: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which needs to
be replayed.  Mount the filesystem to replay the log, and unmount it before
re-running xfs_repair.  If you are unable to mount the filesystem, then use
the -L option to destroy the log and attempt a repair.
Note that destroying the log may cause corruption -- please attempt a mount
of the filesystem before doing this.

I need to be guided... I really want to solve the problem once forever and I do not want to make any mistake (hope you understand)...