[Solved] Help Identifying CPU Process

Hi,

While trying to diagnose performance issues related to my NextCloud docker I came across a weird CPU utilization pattern. The image below was taken with all dockers stopped except Netdata:

81064366_NetdataCPUUtilization-AllDockersStopped.thumb.PNG.f502a246c80d1d032583a2658b79eb14.PNG

Every couple of seconds, one core is utilized 100%. How can I identify exactly what process is doing this? Unfortunately, Netdata just labels this process as "other".

Thanks

PS. Here is my post regarding my NextCloud performance issue, although I don't think it seems to be related to this weird CPU behavior. 

tower-syslog-20190410-0059.zip

5 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

See if stopping cache dirs makes a difference.

Bingo, that was it.

Thanks johnnie.black!

Now that I know what is causing it I see there are other threads about this here: 

This thread in particular people recommend either disabling cache dirs or at least excluding shares with complex folder structures, such as \appdata. I'm going to give the latter a try first, but disabling it might not be a bad idea, I don't spin my disks down ever, so cache directors is probably not doing much anyway.

[EDIT] 

Excluding \appdata seems to have done the trick. I also set the max folder depth to 8 instead of unlimited. The CPU utilization spikes are gone entirely.

Edited by 3doubled
  • 3doubled changed the title to [Solved] Help Identifying CPU Process