How to install unRAID to non-USB device? Problem with unRAID creation tool.

Not at this time.  With unRaid and its extremely minimal writes to the flash drive, it will probably last longer than any hard drive you ever install.  My first unRaid flash is now 6 years old and still running, whereas none of the hard drives I've had installed in that server still are.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, The_Immortal said:

So you offer to use flash drive as boot device all the time and this will be ok as it takes no so much write operations, correct?

Yes

1 minute ago, The_Immortal said:

But what about boot speed: SSD is much faster than a flash drive... ?

After the initial loading of 2 files from the flash drive, every thing runs directly from RAM.  Speed of the flash etc doesn't amount to more than around 1-2 seconds.

• Like 1

Did you rename your USB to UNRAID?

Also you simply unpack all of the files leaving the internal folder structure in tact and drop them on your USB stick and simply double click on the creator.exe file. It should walk you thru the process with a popup cmdline prompt.

52 minutes ago, kizer said:

Did you rename your USB to UNRAID?

Yup.

2 hours ago, The_Immortal said:

Error: Couldn't open C:/Users/[My_Username]/AppData/Local/Temp/unraid.bootimg.gz

The problem was that Unraid.USB.Creator.Win32-1.5b.exe is unable to recognize my Cyrilic username in the path. 

I guess that should be fixed.