Your server has run out of memory

Hi,

I ran Fix Common Problems today, and was expecting the usual no problems found, but was surprised to see "Out Of Memory errors detected on your server". I do have 32 GB of ECC ram, which has been in the server for just over four years, since I built it.

I've attached the diagnostics log in the hope that one of the experts here can advise what's going on. The server has an up-time of only 19 days. It's previously gone almost a year between reboots without this issue. The only docker that's been running over and above unraid, during this time is the PlexMediaServer. No other plugins or dockers have run for any extended duration during the 19 days.

Thanks,

Greg

Unraid Server Components:

M/B: Supermicro - X10SL7-F

CPU: Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1230L v3 @ 1.80GHz

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Cache: 256 kB, 1024 kB, 8192 kB

Memory: 32 GB Single-bit ECC (max. installable capacity 32 GB)

tower-diagnostics-20190411-2050.zip

Edited by Greg F
Add server components

It appears to me that you have some process that is writing a file to RAM rather than to a physical disk. 

Basically, all of your plugins and Dockers have to be writing their files to     /mnt/cache     /mnt/diskX (where is the number for one of your data hard drives)    /mnt/user   /mnt/user0   Any writes to any other place will result in a write to the RAM disk.  I would gather that you have a VM running so you would also need to check that to see that it is not writing files to the RAM disk.  

I looked at the config for my Dockers. In my opinion everything looks ok. I couldn't see anything wrong with the plugins either. The ram is holding still at 8% utilization for the last day or so. I will run some tests, with the dockers running individually for a day or so, to see which docker starts using the ram. I should be able to narrow the problem down to the affected Docker.

Thank you for your input, I should be able to track it down from here.

Hello everyone,

I am currently having the same issue with my server running everything in ram. I have 32gb of ram and it is filling up quickly. I am really new to Unraid and cant seem to figure out why this is happening. Any help would really be appreciated. I have attached my system specs to this board for anyone to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your time on this.

tower.7z

1 hour ago, acozad1 said:

Hello everyone,

I am currently having the same issue with my server running everything in ram. I have 32gb of ram and it is filling up quickly. I am really new to Unraid and cant seem to figure out why this is happening. Any help would really be appreciated. I have attached my system specs to this board for anyone to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your time on this.

tower.7z

As was mentioned this is normally because you have a plugin or (more likely) docker configured incorrectly.   Unfortunately that is not information that is included in the diagnostics.   It might be worth providing screen shots of the settings for any dockers you are running or plugins that might download/create files.  Ideally switch them to Advanced vie (via toggle at top right) so we can see all the settings.

1 hour ago, acozad1 said:

Sorry about that rezip. But here are the screen shots of my docker. I guess I configured Plex wrong and it is running in ram. Not really sure how I did that.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 8.43.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 8.44.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 8.46.06 AM.png

Looks like you have taken the /config path and used it to map your media. That /config path (and its default host mapping) needs to be there because that is where plex puts it database (library). Since you haven't given it anywhere to put it that is going to be a problem.

Start over. You need to leave that path alone and make another for your media.

After you delete that container, but before you create another, you need to fix your system shares. For some reason they don't have the default use cache settings. Probably you changed these yourself without knowing why. I am going to outline several steps you need to take in my next post, but I wanted to go ahead and put this out there before you tried to create any more dockers.

You have the domains share set to cache-no, but fortunately its contents are already all on cache where it belongs. Your appdata and system shares are both set to cache-yes, and they have content on cache and on the array. You want all of that to be on cache and stay there, but it will require a few steps to make this happen.

• Go to the appdata, domains, and system shares and set them each to cache-prefer.
  • Go to Settings - Docker and Settings - VM Manager and disable each.
  • Go to Main - Array Operations and Move Now. Wait for it to complete.
  • Go to User Shares and Compute All. Wait for it to complete. It should show you that appdata, domains, and system shares are all on cache only.

After you have finished that post new diagnostics so we can check.

I didn't know you had anything new to say since you put it in an old post and that old post was already read. So it didn't show up for me until I specifically went looking for this thread again.

It's a good idea to put any new information in a new post. That way, the forum software puts it near the top of the subforum, and shows that the thread has unread posts.

That screenshot looks fine and shows what I was looking for so don't really need that diagnostic.

You can enable Docker and VM Services now.

Was plex your only docker?

2 minutes ago, acozad1 said:

Ok. I will try it now. Is there anything I should do, or will all the new settings help this issue.

Creating a new docker image won't have anything in it until you install some dockers. Your plex docker was wrong anyway and needed to be done over. Did you have any other dockers?