(SOLVED) (6.6.7) - Share access permissions - unable to access folders via W10

Ok, got my server rebuilt, parity run, able to access the GUI and see the shares on my computer; however, I cannot access any of the subfolders in the shares due to a Network error.

"Windows cannot access\\TOWER\Movies\xxxxx

You do not have permission to access \\TOWER\Movies\xxxxx. Contact your network administrator to request access."

All shares are set to public under SMB Security Settings. I also do not see //Tower under my Network in windows explorer. I moved from 4.7 (I think it was) to 6.6.7. So not sure if there's other settings I need to change.

Both my PC and the unRaid server are on WORKGROUP. The server is set as the workgroup master; however, I do see that my netgear router is also a workgroup master. I have all the readyshare options disabled, and the USB port disabled on the router, but can't get the readyshare to shut off. Not sure if that is playing a role. It's only the subfolders I can't access. I can access \\TOWER\Movies, but not \\TOWER\Movies\xxxxx

tower-diagnostics-20190412-0931.zip

Edited by VampyreGTX
adding diagnostics file
  • 1 year later...

If New permissions is not fixing your problem then the fix is by no means obvious.

we probably need to see the output of a command of the form

ls -l path-to-check

command run from the console on one of the problem directories do we can see what the permissions actually are while this problem is occurring to have any chance of working out why this is happening.

They are public. Looks like the root stopped working. I made a new user and I'm able to access the SMB shares with the new user, but root no longer has access.

This seems to have broken a bunch of my containers. Plex for example.

Edited by Snipe3000
More info
36 minutes ago, Snipe3000 said:

root no longer has access.

root is just an anonymous guest user for network file access.

2 hours ago, Snipe3000 said:

running the new permissions tool

38 minutes ago, Snipe3000 said:

This seems to have broken a bunch of my containers

You shouldn't do new permissions on appdata. It may break the permissions the applications have configured for themselves.