Moving vm from disk 1 to disk 5 (How to needed)

Hello, 

So I am getting some of the kinks out of my vm setup and I noticed some lag while trying to play a movie from a "movies" share thats on the same disk (disk 1) as the vm domain share. So the VM instance is also on disk 1. I want to move the VM vdisk to disk 5 so disk 1 in the array can focus on playing the media and disk 5 can be responsible for the VM. 

the path for the VM disk is "/mnt/user/domains/Windows 10/vdisk1.img" 

is this just as easy as changing that to say vdisk5.img? 

I am brand new to unraid so have very little experience and knowledge so any helps and step by step how to's would be really appreciated!

in order to move the vm you need to move the vdisk1.img to the drive you want it on. then point under vm setting to it.

Do I understand correct, that you have the vdisk on the array ?

It is recommended to host the vdisk on a cache drive or unassigned drive which is separate from the array and outside of the unraid array usually better suited for i/o heavy vm use.

Edited by unrateable
8 hours ago, arich1055077 said:

So I just got a cache drive and put it in the array. How do I copy the vdisk1.img onto the cache drive? and how do i keep it from being moved back to the array every night?

The easiest way is to:

• The normal process is to have the vdisk in a user Share that has "Use Cache = Prefer".  
  • Stop the VM Service.
  • Run mover and it will transfer the vdisk to the array (or you can do it manually instead).   It is only User Shares that have Use Cache = Yes that results in files being moved from cache to array.
  • Now restart the VM service and you should be good to go.

If in your VM you have explicitly named a particular disk rather than a user share then the procedure s slightly different as you have to edit the references in your VM configuration to match the new location.