Unraid is just fantastic for my needs

kevinm79

Hi All

Been a long time forum lurker never really felt the urge to post. Over the years I have used various solutions to backup my data and at one point was considering a DROBO (I know but I know better now) I wanted something where I could grow my storage as drives got bigger or just add another drive as needed. And other solutions just did not fit my needs. (I did try and pay for another bit of software that failed me hard when a drive failed).

I decided on the n54l microserver after reading the forums and got a really cheap deal for it. (its running up to 9 drives and been fw hacked to allow hotswap etc) And its been running flawless for years I have never really needed to log into it and do anything with it. 

So I am onto my next stage of my Unraid journey going to finally update to v6. After finding a helpful guide online and then start changing a few of the tired 3tb drives out with 6 or 8 tb drives (prices are low). 

The community here is fantastic and I have just been looking though loads of items I can add to automate everything for me. 

As of right now I use raspberry Pi's with kodi for my 1080p needs however as things are moving more to 4k does anyone know of a device like a raspberry pi that can handle 4k. (sorry if someone has already posted something)

Glad to hear UNRAID is working well 😎

I have some Raspberry Pi 3's and they were not able to support 4K (these are from a couple of years ago so hardware may have changed since)

I have a couple of Nvidia Shield TV's, they're expensive but 4K/HDR along with lossless audio passthrough has been working well for me with Kodi.

For budget 4K Kodi playback the Firestick 4K is hard to beat (can be had for $40), only downside is it can't passthrough lossless audio and if you're playing high bitrate 4K content the WiFi can struggle but I've used an USB Gigabit ethernet adapter and that seems to work well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did look at a few options. Rockpi however the support seems lacking and a few people have hit brick walls with no answers. I did look at the 4k fire stick however I thought with kodi running and how big my library is I would run out of space for the image library. 

I did see osmc at £100 that supported 4k. Going to look at the N2 now. The shield is a backup option as well if nothing else suits my needs... Wish they would just bring out a 4k rpi

Im sure I replied to this. I must of been drunk or asleep. anyway amazon had a special on WD drives so just picked up 2x 6tb for £84 each. Guessing they will be blues inside. 

I just hope I can make them do a pre-clear in the enclosure as I want to see if they have any issues or fail before I break them free from there cages.

But yea they are all good choices and some of them meet my I like to do things cheap budget :)