Solved

This is probably close to normal for the default setup.  (This is because parity is updated as a part of the array write operation which results in a series of disk IO operations.) You can get a increase in write speeds if you change the "Tunable (md_write_method):"  on the Settings >>  Disk Settings tab to 'Reconstruct write'.  However, this will spin up all of the array disks for all write operations.  (The default method will spin up only the parity disk and the disk on which the data is stored.)  

In any case, the write speed will also be slower for large numbers of small files rather than a few very large files because of the file management overhead.

Edited by Frank1940

The speeds at both ends have to be approximately the same.  So  it will always to the speed of the bottleneck.    Again, what are the size of the files?   File management overhead is an issue with rotating hard drives.  Plus, I am not sure how 'efficient' Krusader is in handling external transfers.   (I assume that you are using the Docker version of Krusader.) 

Have you checked the speed of transfer to your backup server using another computer.  There is also Lan Speed test utility that I have used in the past.  I would suggest that you 'vet' it before downloading.  You can find it here:

https://old.totusoft.com/lanspeed1.html

You do have to use a fairly large file size to get around the RAM caching that Unraid will use if memory is available.

2 hours ago, maxse said:

Thanks. Not sure what you mean by vetting, is it not safe?

<snip>

Do t want to install anything that’s not safe...

By 'vetting', I mean a google search asking if it is 'safe'.  I did this when I downloaded it a couple of years ago.  (It was safe at that time.)  I would suspect that it still is but you should be the one to decide whether you want to use it.  

2 hours ago, maxse said:

I don’t see it available for unraid though.

Basically, I would install it on a third computer (like a Windows or a Mac) and verify the speeds for each server.  That way, you would be testing each server for its maximum transfer speed.  (My tests, at the time, seem to indicate this utility does that very well!)  If the speed to-and-from each server is much faster than you are seeing using Krusader, you have narrowed the problem considerably...

By the way, I believe that a lot of folks have used   rsync   to do this type of transfer.  It is a command-line program with a laundry list of options.  (Type  rsync in the terminal widow of the GUI to see them.)   I have used a couple of times but I had a lot of hand-holding to help me through it.  

• 1 month later...

This is kind of old, but I suspect that if you use something like rclone or rsync to migrate the data, you'll have a better experience. When I used Krusader, it would only move 1 file at a time with max throughput around 40=50MB/s. With rclone, I can set transfers=20 and it WILL push 120 MB/s on my 1gb network. Wirespeed would be 125-128 MB/s depending on what you thing a "gig" is (either 1000 or 1024).

Thanks so much. I was able to get around 100MB/s after using the unassigned devices plugin and then running it through krusader. I originally mounted the smb share directly from within krusader which caused the slow down. Thank you