3rd Party Android App

IanB

I decided to explore the possibility of writing my own Android application for Unraid. This was more of an opportunity for me to explore some areas of Android that I hadn't played around with, along with building a new app from scratch. Development was pretty quick/rapid and was able to throw together something that I personally liked. It's now mostly functional, but the key areas missing are not really programming challenges, but more challenges with continuing to try and reverse engineer the API to extract the necessary information from an Unraid server (since there isn't any official supported API).

Where is the best place to ask for help? Just ask the individual / specific questions in the forums? I've also not decided if i'd actually release the app for others - I guess it will depend on any interest there is in it. I'd probably want to seek permission though to make sure the Unraid team area happy with it first.

Some of the types of questions I hate:

• What is the correct way to extract the "csrf_token" for the server? And how often should I refresh it?
  • Is there a way to update/obtain share sizes individually? I've been playing around with the "/webGui/scripts/share_size" script exectued via "/update.htm" followed by grabbing the generated "/state/x" file - but it doesn't seem to be correct?

In case people are interested in seeing some screenshots, here's a few (slightly out of date)...

Home.thumb.jpg.dce34f3f989473e60c920a9b141908f0.jpgDisks.thumb.jpg.9d3198ed3b72348ce30cb6605ac3401f.jpgShares.thumb.jpg.02e7b59eaf6615efce4cd4a8e304abff.jpgDocker.thumb.jpg.3c8f9f75ea32d63db9bdf066f38f4218.jpg

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, IanB said:

Sorry @Squid, not sure I follow. I'm basically trying to programmatically determine the same details presented here by the Web interface:

1817397290_2019-04-16at12_14.png.4b2d5cbcdb7defa717b1b01cb8559d38.png 

Thanks in advance

That is a subset of the information returned by the CLI level 'uptime' command.  Perhaps you had not realised that 'uptime' is a standard command?

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if Unraid do any request limiting for clients? I've been making good progress with my application but finding that when it initially loads, it can be pretty slow. Debugging it shows that there is an unexpected delay when making a number of requests to the server. If I delay (myself) between the requests, the response are very fast...

Sequential
==========
[IABI]: getting /state/var.ini...
[IABI]: finished getting /state/var.ini... 2918
[IABI]: getting /Dashboard...
[IABI]: finished getting /Dashboard... 65720
 - 2.332s

Sequential (Reverse Order)
==============================

- 2.228s

Sequential (Delay between requests)
===================================

- 0.267s

- 0.143s

Individual
==========

- 0.165s

- 0.306s

Any help would be appreciated

Edited by IanB
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been able to actually update the app and have it mostly working. There is still some issues I need to iron out, as well as potentially some UX nits that I would clean up first if I was to launch this.

Is there anyone at Unraid that I can (or should?) talk too regarding this app? I'm still in two minds what to do with it (it was a hobby project), but it could provide some value to users. I would be happy to share details of the app, a video or even an APK for feedback/thoughts from the team.

@Squid Sorry for the ping, but do you know who would be best to contact and how?