FreeNAS Migrant

KillerNAS

I'm a FreeNAS migrant and a complete noob to unRAID but now I'm convinced.

I have been a keen supporter of FreeNAS for 5 years. Went through the trouble of learning the ins and outs of FreeNAS versions 9, 10 and 11.  It worked well for me in this time, obviously some troubles with jail updates and permissions at times etc, but I got by and each time I had trouble with the update I toyed with the idea of unRAID and have done so for about a year or so, but I just did not have the courage to migrate to it...until last weekend whilst trying to update Plex and Transmission...what a hassle and more of a joke.  

I tried everything. serveral new installs, adjusting permissions, moving data from the NAS, wiping drives and starting fresh...finaly I thought I had it working...alas no, what I had working stopped, so I thought to myself FI! Time to migrate...half the jobs done anyway with having all the data stored off the machine.

unRAID to the rescue!

First problem I incountered...wrtiting the boot data to the USB...the several (3x) large (64mb)  USB drives I had did not work, constant problem was on booting into unRAID there was no LAN connection....5-10min reading and found that USB compatiblity was or is or seems to be an issue, so I used the cheapest 8mb one, some no name brand I had and it nooted up with LAN first pop (actually 4th pop). Sweet.

Second problem I encounted....oh that's right there was none. I followed some tubers instructional video to setup unRIAD along with reading the manual, installed Plex and Transmission and it all works. I then decided to transfer files from USB backup to the arrany using Unassigned devices and Krusader. All files transfered in a day, parity check has been done and the system flash boot is backed up and all is humming along beautifully.

Hardware I use for unRAID (previously FreeNAS)...

M/B: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. - Z170M-PLUS

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz

Memory: 16 GB

Cache Drive: 1x 120GB SSD 

Drives: 8x 3tb HDD @ 5400 (two drives being used for parity)

Currently the system is only on a trail key but I'm convinced and will be purchasing license once the trail key gets closer to timing out.

It could not be any easier!

• Like 2

Welcome aboard. No matter where you are from. Most of us are HUGE fans of unRAID and have been so for many many years

Wait until you see the update process of unRAID as new versions drop. Simple click a button and reboot and your off and running again.

No JailBreaking needed here. Beat up that install of yours and keep in mind like mentioned up above we are here to help. 😀

• Like 2

Thanks.

I'm no longer on a 30 day trial, purchased license yesterday as the the system is up and stable with dockers installed and not giving me any grief. 

I'm kicking myself...as I should have installed unRAID at the time FreeNAS Corral disaster 2 years ago as I do recall looking for other NAS OS's. Oh well hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Edited by KillerNAS
  • Upvote 1

Check out my DiskSpeed Docker app (link in sig), it'll help check you keep track of any invisible drive errors. UNRAID has gotten grief in the past due to slow writes/parity checks when in fact one of the drives had a large area with slow reads but nothing reported in the SMART report. Another note about drives, a lot of Seagate drives have a low speed area at the very beginning of the drive. It'll also benchmark drive controllers to see if you're maxing one out (unlikely unless full of SSD's).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, KillerNAS said:

Thanks.

I'm no longer on a 30 day trial, purchased license yesterday as the the system is up and stable with dockers installed and not giving me any grief. 

I'm kicking myself...as I should have installed unRAID at the time FreeNAS Corral disaster 2 years ago as I do recall looking for other NAS OS's. Oh well hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I like corral, it was sweet, then they killed it.....