Plex & Ssd Question

Hi, 

I have all appdata from my dockers going to an Ssd drive. I just noticed that my Plex data is not on the Ssd. Not sure why, might have just forgot to move it. Is it too much wear and tear for the Ssd to pull the Plex  data from there all the time? The Ssd is a Unassigned device I just use for appdata. 

Thanks 

Since no one else has jumped in, I will try to provide you with a bit of direction.  As a point of disclosure, I do not use Plex on either of my servers at this time.  Since you are using an unassigned drive to store Plex data, you will have to make changes to your Plex configuration to use this drive.  If you have questions about how to do this, there should be a support thread for the Plex Docker that you are using.  Asking your question there will probably get a quicker answer.  (One issue that I have seen is that sometimes PLEX users will config it in a way that writes certain of its files to UnRAID's RAM disk.  This will result in problems eventually!!!) 

As I understand it, reading is not an longevity issue with SSD's.  It is writing that causes 'wear'.  Even the effect of this can be minimized if you regularly run TRIM on the drive.  Not all SSD's are not equal.  There are difference in the memory architecture used and these have different failure modes.  Next, the firmware on all SSD's will  use wear-leveling by the use of all available cells.  (This basically means, it does NOT use the same cells over and over again --when write-then-erase operations occur--- but spreads the writes over all of the available cells.)  Realize that the time required to change from reading (or writing) one sector on a SSD to another other is always the same regardless of it 'location'.  So having data on contiguous sectors is a not a condition for rapid reading or writing of data. 

15 hours ago, Badboy said:

I have all appdata from my dockers going to an Ssd drive. I just noticed that my Plex data is not on the Ssd. Not sure why, might have just forgot to move it. Is it too much wear and tear for the Ssd to pull the Plex  data from there all the time? The Ssd is a Unassigned device I just use for appdata. 

I have all my appdata, including Plex, on a SSD as well, although it is a cache drive.  Plex and all docker data has been stored on this SSD for over six years and the life on the drive is still good.

If your Plex appdata is not on the SSD, your docker container /config mapping must be directing it elsewhere.

Also I would highly encourage you to use the CA Backup/Restore Plugin to backup your SSD or your AppData somewhere. I personally use a USB 2.5 inch drive once a month. So if all else fails I can restore within a reasonable amount of time. Nothing worse than telling the Family they can't use Plex to watch their videos or they have to wait several hours while everything rebuilds.

If your Plex appdata is else where you can simply move it to your SSD and remap in your Plex Install.

3 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Since no one else has jumped in, I will try to provide you with a bit of direction.  As a point of disclosure, I do not use Plex on either of my servers at this time.  Since you are using an unassigned drive to store Plex data, you will have to make changes to your Plex configuration to use this drive.  If you have questions about how to do this, there should be a support thread for the Plex Docker that you are using.  Asking your question there will probably get a quicker answer.  (One issue that I have seen is that sometimes PLEX users will config it in a way that writes certain of its files to UnRAID's RAM disk.  This will result in problems eventually!!!) 

As I understand it, reading is not an longevity issue with SSD's.  It is writing that causes 'wear'.  Even the effect of this can be minimized if you regularly run TRIM on the drive.  Not all SSD's are not equal.  There are difference in the memory architecture used and these have different failure modes.  Next, the firmware on all SSD's will  use wear-leveling by the use of all available cells.  (This basically means, it does NOT use the same cells over and over again --when write-then-erase operations occur--- but spreads the writes over all of the available cells.)  Realize that the time required to change from reading (or writing) one sector on a SSD to another other is always the same regardless of it 'location'.  So having data on contiguous sectors is a not a condition for rapid reading or writing of data. 

Thanks for taking the time to give me your input.  I'm leaning towards running the Plex off the ssd drive. It is a separate drive away from the array.  If it goes bad it's easily replaced. Running from a usb, so I just pull it out and plug a new one in, restore the backup. This will save some wear on the more expensive 10tb array drives, where there's a lot more data. These drives are built to run, you have made some good points.

Thanks again

3 hours ago, Hoopster said:

I have all my appdata, including Plex, on a SSD as well, although it is a cache drive.  Plex and all docker data has been stored on this SSD for over six years and the life on the drive is still good.

If your Plex appdata is not on the SSD, your docker container /config mapping must be directing it elsewhere.

Good to know. I'm leaning that way as well.  Even sending my downloads to it. Very easy for me to replace it.  Less expensive then my 10Tb array drives.  Thanks Hoopster.

15 minutes ago, kizer said:

Also I would highly encourage you to use the CA Backup/Restore Plugin to backup your SSD or your AppData somewhere. I personally use a USB 2.5 inch drive once a month. So if all else fails I can restore within a reasonable amount of time. Nothing worse than telling the Family they can't use Plex to watch their videos or they have to wait several hours while everything rebuilds.

If your Plex appdata is else where you can simply move it to your SSD and remap in your Plex Install.

Absolutely!!! Good point for anyone that is following. I have done that. I have my SSD plugged into USB port. Very easy to swap out, just reload data and I'm back in business. FYI: I have all appdata on this SSD. It's a regular backup from one location.  Good to hear other peoples thoughts. This way may not be the best way to do it.  Hopefully I don't find out the hard way. Thanks