Are these Supermicro servers any good?

Hello all,

I'm considering purchasing one of these Supermicro servers that you can see here, more specifically with a couple of 10TB hard-drives + 2x E5-2650 v2 CPU. These come with a LSI 9210-8i RAID controller and I saw somewhere that I would need to flash it in order to use it with Unraid.

Is there anything else that I would need to do or buy for this machine to be used with Unraid? Seems like a pretty good deal and I'm wondering if I'm missing something here.

TIA

The chassis is my favorite for the quality of the components compared with the other 24 bay rackmount stuff at this price point.  I don't have this specific MB though and can't comment about gotcha's there, nor can I comment on this particular vendor.  What I can say, is that this concept is a good way to get heavy duty industrial strength servers at bargain basement prices.  The Xeon E5 series of processors that fit this MB are heroes for massive number of cores but their only problem is individual core speed is lower than desktop CPUs. 

I hope you aren't planning on installing these near your workspace.  These are known to be noisy.  If installed far away, in another room, the noise won't bother you.

• Like 1