Which program to access Linux Mint VM best? With Audio

6 hours ago, jang430 said:

I created a new Linux Mint 19.1 VM.  Accessing from my windows PC, I was wondering what will be the best way to access my VM, and allow it to have audio.  Currently, I didn't passthrough any GPU, neither does my motherboard have sound card, so no sound as well.

You can get a sound card emulated by editing the VM settings in XML mode and adding

<sound model='ac97'>
    </sound>

As to what the quality of sound you will get and what the best client to use is I am not sure.

• 1 month later...

@jang430, I also have a few Linux Mint VMs on my unRAID server, also no GPU and no sound hardware. I want to access the VMs from my Windows 10 PC, but I was unable to get any sound via any remote desktopping, but thanks to @itimpi I am now trying the ac97 emulation. VNC is, as you say, fast, but I can't get any audio. I managed to use Windows Remote Desktop (after a bit of fiddling around in Mint), but YouTube performance was a little choppy, although audio was fine (for me). Best was NoMachine, smooth video and audio.

48 minutes ago, jang430 said:

@sonofdbn, Thank you for your input.  I tried Nomachine.  I didn't like the many options presented when starting VM, seems overly complicated.  So far, no other persons coming forward to give any better options :D I guess Nomachine is it.  

I am confused :(  NoMachine is installed inside the VM so I am not sure why you are mentioning options when starting the VM.

28 minutes ago, jang430 said:

I have NoMachine installed on the VM itself.  But on the desktop that is to access the VM, I also have NoMachine installed, to be able to access the VM.  

OK .   The first time you start NoMachine client it will take you through a tutorial on how you carry out various standard actions on the client.   You can stop that displaying in subsequent launches so you get a minimal interface.